Discuss Worst problem I can imagine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gonzomediocre

I'm building a new house and a little behind,so, I hired a tile guy to set 130 sf of 1/4 inch 6x8 ceramic glazed tiles on the wall of my tub surround, while I installed handrails on the stairs. After he left, I found out that he had run out of adhesive part way through the job (he was using Mapei Ultramastic ECO) so he set the remaining tiles using drumroll please.... Trafficmaster Stainproof GROUT .

Now what do I do? They seem to be sticking for now, but I don't want any nasty surprises later.

Do they have to come off?
I don't know which tiles are set in adhesive and which are "grouted" on. If they have to come off is there an easy way to figure out which is which?
Is there a way to get them to release and still be able to reuse them?

I could get the "professional" back in here to guess where he started using grout but I really don't want him back in my home. He is way to expensive, way to slow, demonstrably incompetent, and he won't stand behind his work, (read that, he'll charge me to come back and fix the problem).

T

Time's Ran Out

I'd tap the surface of the tiles with your knuckle to 'sound' the tiles.
This may give you an indication as to how well fixed all the tiles are.
With the 12sq mts of tiling being glazed wall tiles the backs tend to be of a porous clay and this may help the cement grout to fix the tiles to your background substrate.
PS. If they sound hollow it may be the grout fixed tlles or his fixing method!

P

Phil22

Hi, I would contact the manufacturer for advice, if nothing else they should be able to tell you how the product cures, chemically or with moisture leaving the product and how long it takes. You may get a little longer with moisture and they may come off easier if the product is still damp.
After considering advice from trafficmaster, I wouldn’t leave it too long if you do in fact decide to remove them and if they do come off in one piece I would start where he finished and work back till you see a change in product and notice the mapei. If they come off in one piece I would try spraying the tile back with water, let it soak in for a while and then using a good scraper try removing the grout.
If no joy with trafficmaster, you could also try calling mapei technical dept. as their product was used on the rest of the tile and they, although not responsible, may have a sympathetic approach and give you advice.
You could also try the tile your world, John Bridge, forum (link below) as they are more likely to be familiar with the product in the states. Cheers

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Worst problem I can imagine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I fixed some mosaic the other day, long, thin strips in a 300x300 mesh cut in to two, and used...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Worst problem I can imagine
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.