Discuss Would you say anything? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

mma

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Leicester
I've been fitting some laminate flooring at a house and the homeowners were also having some tiling done by two "builders". Obviously interested, as soon as they went out I had a nose in the bathroom. Skimmed plasterboard and painted walls. Not ideal! Looked in one of the bedrooms and next to the Bal Green Star was some PVA:mad2: They came back and started unloading the tiles... 600x300 porcelain!! I had a word with the homeowner about making sure they didn't use the tubed adhesive and make sure it was a cement based one. I said, other wise you'll be getting a headache, literally!! So, would you say anything to the "Builders"/homeowner? Or not get involved?

beanz

TF
Berkshire
I tried to tell a plumber today that his clients had bought the wrong adhesive for the 600x300 porcelain wall tiles......Fix and grout in a tub !!!!!
No one will listen to me , "Just bang them on " he said !!!!!

Complete waste of breath.

They'll never listen, as they've "been doing it this way for 20 years and never had a fail". All you'll do is get their backs up, as they'll see it as you trying to steal their business. Even if the customer asked my opinion, I'd be reluctant to stand there and slag off another tradesman. I might direct them here for some research, but that's as far as I'd go,

mma

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Leicester
The only comment I made to them was, "I hope you've got a good tile cutter for them tiles!?" "oh yeah, go through um like butter!" Mmmmmmnn!! I think in the end, they gave up dry cutting and just used a MacAllister wet cutter for the cuts whilst I was there. They tiled the ensuite, and it wasn't the worst job I have ever seen but, they used Green Star in a shower area?? Few lipped tiles and window not central.

D

destroyer2813

I tried to tell a plumber today that his clients had bought the wrong adhesive for the 600x300 porcelain wall tiles......Fix and grout in a tub !!!!!
No one will listen to me , "Just bang them on " he said !!!!!

And that's why that plumbers a fool I always make sure use the correct stuff saw a bloke picking up 600x300 for b&q the other month with a tub of unibond fix and grout wasn't worth the hassle trying to tell him

Somerset
The right person to say something to about doing it "wrong" is the person doing the work. If they want to listen. Adding the phrase "Can you afford a reputation for dodgy work in this area?" often encourages them to think - but just confront them about the shoddy work and then walk away. If you feel strongly enough about the work (actual or proposed) being dangerous then take further action.

Telling the customer rather than the tradesman employed is (IMHO) likely to make you look underhanded.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
The right person to say something to about doing it "wrong" is the person doing the work. If they want to listen. Adding the phrase "Can you afford a reputation for dodgy work in this area?" often encourages them to think - but just confront them about the shoddy work and then walk away. If you feel strongly enough about the work (actual or proposed) being dangerous then take further action.

Telling the customer rather than the tradesman employed is (IMHO) likely to make you look underhanded.

totally agree. And could also get you a bad reputation with other local tradesmen.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Would you say anything? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I had my bathroom done in September and my floor tiles have movement in them and the grout is...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
T
I am helping a mate of mine on a floor atm. In places the bed is quite deep, in these areas we...
Replies
Views
S
I was asked to quote for a job by a customer who found me throught the TTA , they have had a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB