Discuss would you touch it? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

I was asked to quote for a job by a customer who found me throught the TTA , they have had a flkoor tiled by a builder in a 450x450 rectified edge tile , the floor is a shocker with loads of lippage 6-10mm joints 48m2 on electric ufh and insulation board , the builder laid straight on the cables without laytexing.
The inspector from the TTA has done a very good report and included a section on what he felt would rectify the floor he has drawn a diagram outlining 58 tiles which he felt should be rectified and stated all the grouting should be raked out and redone.
I took a look on Saturday and dont think by even doing as he suggested it will ever look any good due to the massive joint sizes and I dont believe that the tiles can be changed without having to do multiple repairs to the ufh which I was always lead to believe could have one repair but multiple repairs were not advisable and invalidates any warranty.
would you attempt to do such a job? it is somebody else's night mare I dont want to make it mine tbh

I

Ian

If your experience and judgement tells you that the only way to sort it is a full rip out and start again, then that's what it needs Gary, anything other than that and you aren't going to be happy putting your name to it. There is nothing worse than trying to rectify someone else's **** up, your name will be forever linked to that floor even if only 50%, or less, of it is your work, not something I'd be comfortable with.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
It would a non-starter for me Gary, customer tells his guests/visitors that it was a bad job to start with but they got you in to sort it out. You say you don't think that you could repair it to a satisfactory finish and that is what they will see, and a job with your name stuck to it. For me it would all have to come up and start again if I were to do it at all.

T

Time's Ran Out

I was of the opinion during reading that the Inspector thought it could be repaired and his report identified 58 tiles to be rectified!

My answer would be - why should a customer have to live with shoddy workmanship and repair to a new installation. 48 sq mts to regrout and how many chipped edges will that mean.

Problem is he's said it could be put right.
Solution would be to redo whole job. IMHO

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to would you touch it? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
O
....if the builder of a new build house, that was going to have 100m2 of tiles fitted in 5...
Replies
Views
On one
O
T
I am helping a mate of mine on a floor atm. In places the bed is quite deep, in these areas we...
Replies
Views
Gets a call from a builder i have worked for over 10yrs yesterday,first call this year,can i go...
Replies
Views
L
Hi Guys. Have to do 16m2 of wall tiling (little toilet -local barber) Walls are getting damp all...
Replies
Views
lukeb
L

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB