Discuss Yet another Bathroom bodge job in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

I read about one family who bought a house with a utility room.

The looked around the house, like it and had an offer accepted.

When they moved in they came across a note on the tap saying 'Sorry not conneted' The units weren't even screwed to the wall, there were no plumbing connections to the sink whatsoever and the tiles were stuck on with wax!

Obviously someone had the idea to put a show utility room in to sell the house!

B

bathroomboy

Been on a job this week as I went to my van a lady asked for my card and said the guy who was fitting her shower and towel radiator was not doing it right, she later rang me, she'd kicked him off the job, when I went round to look at it, shower tray wrecked by stanley knife and fitted wrong, the towel rad was the worst bodge I'd ever seen, so long as these cowboys are about it will keep us in work.

F

faithhealer

I read about one family who bought a house with a utility room.

The looked around the house, like it and had an offer accepted.

When they moved in they came across a note on the tap saying 'Sorry not conneted' The units weren't even screwed to the wall, there were no plumbing connections to the sink whatsoever and the tiles were stuck on with wax!

Obviously someone had the idea to put a show utility room in to sell the house!
Years ago when coloured bathroom suites were 'in', some friends when to look at a house which advertised. 'with coloured bathroom suite' only to find it in the dining room still in the boxes!! estate agents poetic licence?

B

Brendan

Been on a job this week as I went to my van a lady asked for my card and said the guy who was fitting her shower and towel radiator was not doing it right, she later rang me, she'd kicked him off the job, when I went round to look at it, shower tray wrecked by stanley knife and fitted wrong, the towel rad was the worst bodge I'd ever seen, so long as these cowboys are about it will keep us in work.

Your right but they always get work ;/, the thing i stick by now is, when asked to take out a toilet or radiator or a cooker etc, even know i know its kinda easy i just dont do it, tell them to get a plumber in or an eletricion to do it, as it aint my trade an if anything goes wrong it doesnt fall back on you, problem here where i live, there is to many people that think they can do everything, even know some people are really good, i always think people should stick to there own trade, for example a plumber has to do 5 years training to be a plumber and thats why they good at there job (not everyone) something i would like to learn more on is plumbing and eletic but even if i knew more on it i wouldnt touch it in other peoples houses as it aint my trade, i always think i still learning tiling and ive done it for a good few years now. There last week i was doing a consins hallway and it lead into there downstairs toilet and they was big porcelain tiles, told him toilet need to be took out as would be a better job and so on, well he got a friend in who was a joiner to take it out, and it prob cost him £10 or £20 or so to do it as a fav, but in the end the guy broke the system to flush it, dont know how in the hell he broke that, but he ended up having to pay £40 for a new 1 and then pay a plumber to put it in so ended up costing him alot more, this just an example of things that can go wrong, so like the guy i worked with good while back always told me, if it aint our trade why do it, u might think u doing good by helping them and they love it, but if anything goes wrong with it, who they put the blame on :p

B

bathroomboy

Fixed it yesterday, one of the worst bodges I have come across, they had a lucky escape, if they had run the shower the ceiling below would have been wrecked, this guy was clueless and not a plumber or tiler, should not be let loose in peoples houses. This guy had posted flyers around the estate where he lived, nice area too, I said to the customer to warn the neighbours of this lowlife cowboy.

F

fonz8484

The worst cowboy i have ever come across was last year. A generous kitchen floor, the customer went on holiday and left the builders to it. They had bought all of the correct materials for them, when they got home after tripping over one of the tiles they found the following-

-Adhesive used for grouting as it was grey and they had bought ivory!!!
-There was no sign of the grout so that was later discovered under the tiles!
-Some tiles were put upside down!!! The fact that it was a full body porcelain tile must of confused them?!
-It had John Wayne written all over it!

Obviousely the floor had to be restarted, a waste of money indeed. Luckily the Underfloor Heating was still ok as they had forgotton to install it!!!

True Story.

B

Bolter

Im off to a job today. House owner got a builder in before going to Australia for 7 weeks, and one of his jobs was the kitchen floor (6m^2)

He called me the other week asking me to go look at it as you could trip over some of the tiles. Apparently when the home owner got back from Oz, there was a post it note stuck in the middle of the floor saying "its the flatest I could get it"

Needless to say, I lifted the floor which came up real easy (B&Q adhesive?), no adhesive stuck to the floor, and have latexed the screed flat, and am about to go over and fix the tiles.

What a waste of money for the poor bloke. He said something about paying the builder a visit with his chainsaw in one hand :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Yet another Bathroom bodge job in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
We had our kitchen tiled last week and we're not at all happy with the work. The tiles aren't...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
I'm currently dealing with the contractor from hell who has ruined job after job in my house...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB