Discuss Yet another post about bad work... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rich

My girl friends mother asked me if I can recommend a painter to repaint her hall was as the wall paper was peeling off the wall, I had a look at the wall and realised that the shower was on the other side of the wall. I looked closely and shock horror!!!! No silicone in the internal joints and the grout has cracked all the way down the walls letting water behind the tiles and ruining the stud wall. She asked me for a quote to sort it (she wouldnt let me do it for a favour because "thats what she pays insurance for"), she gave the quote to the insurance company who obviously said that "they have their own experts to do the work". So I stood well back but just said to her to make sure that the "tiler" uses silicone in the internal joints not grout.

They turn up and rip the tiles off, of course the plasterboard is ruined but he tells her that its ok because he is going to PVA it before the tiler tiles it. I go round that evening and tell her what I think. Next day he has taken the old board off and replaced with standard plasterboard (of course no tanking here), I tell her what I think but try to stay out of it. This is where they realise that they cant get the same tiles :mad2:. She picks some new 1s. The tiler comes in and tiles the shower area and grouts the internal joints like a brain damaged chimp so i cut the grout out and siliconed. Neadless to say the work was terrible!

After this she decides that she isnt happy as there is a bow in the tiles so they come back and take 1 of the walls down and replace the plasterboard with MDF. I almost wet myself laughing! She phones them back and tells them that its not good enough. The next day the builder is not a happy bunny as he has to change the board (again). He then tells her that I dont know what Im talking about because Im only a tiler and he is a builder so he has to know loads more :lol:

I have missed out a hell of a lot of this story to keep it short :)yikes:). He also asked for a bacon butty every morning, turned upo at 7.30am on a sat without telling them and left before 9am, charged her an extra £600 to do a few odd jobs, these took him less than an hour.

But the most stupid thing out of the lot? She has asked him to fit a new kitchen for her... I dont get it.

P.S Sorry for the essay, needed to vent!

R

Rich

quote]She has asked him to fit a new kitchen for her

Beggers belief.

I'm on job at the moment where new kitchen is being fitted, the women had the floor tiles taken up because they were so hollow and found a tile corner that she could move/flex with no addy under it..the guy said it's because it's got flexible adhesive under it that why it flexes..she was'nt having none of it.

:lol: Oh that is good! Im going to use that one.

At least she has the brains to not put up with it I suppose.

R

Rich

I thought that you might like to see some pics of the shower room.
Draycottsand maries 015.jpg Draycottsand maries 016.jpg Draycottsand maries 017.jpg Draycottsand maries 018.jpg Draycottsand maries 019.jpg Draycottsand maries 020.jpg Draycottsand maries 022.jpg Draycottsand maries 023.jpg Draycottsand maries 025.jpg Draycottsand maries 027.jpg Draycottsand maries 028.jpg Draycottsand maries 029.jpg Draycottsand maries 030.jpg
This room has been finished for a couple of months now and the wall on the other side is already starting to crack, the plastic trim thing that they have put along the bottom of the tiles is not water tight (my girlfriends mum had to silicone her self). This wall is made of plywood anrottenon. The tiler ran out of the mosaics so himproviseded (I must remember that one next time I run out of tiles). Also note the hole where they drilled thwrongng place for the shower (she had to fill this with silicone). The step out side the shower is chipboard and as you can see cracked and hollow. In the last pic you can see what the tiles and border that she asked for looked like!

Well there you have it, this is the kind of work that we are up against from other pros. Im not to worried.
:smilewinkgrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Yet another post about bad work... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hope everyone is well. I'm after some advice please. I'm currently having my bathroom tiled...
Replies
Views
Hi all. My daughter had a tiling job done in her kitchen while she was away last week. I stayed...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Yet another post about bad work...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.