Discuss You know when you've been taken for a mug in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

Sorry its another rant, I recently took two subbies on, for a project and because the work is a bit of this a bit of that, I put them on day rate. I know now in retrospective this was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. I know work slows down on day rates but these works were impossible to do on a price. So they came on the job had a look round, I showed them what needed to be done and I estimated it would be about 20 days work for a pair so we are up to 40 days in total to complete the works. We had a few delays due to areas not being available but I cleared that out, I also put a labourer on the job to do the running about for them. Before Christmas I thought they are taking their time down there, as they were not even half way through and we were already 15 days into the job. Then on Tuesday I had a phone call from the client telling me neither of them were there....so then I was on red alert. I texted one of them telling them I would be dropping by later and I needed to pick up a tub of additive. No response till 5.39pm that afternoon saying sorry lynn didnt see your text message, and we have just left site. Thanks to the marvels of technology this site is on a smart card system, so today I asked for the swipe cards time for both of them... this is what i got back in from the main contractor.

Date
In
Out
09/01/14
08/01/14
07/01/14
06/01/14
20/12/13
19/12/13
18/12/13
17/12/13
16/12/13
13/12/13
12/12/13
11/12/13
10/12/13
09/12/13

So tomorrow, I will be down there, and I cant even put into words how furious I am, you trust people, and thats the mistake you should never trust people. Not once have they ever worked past 4.00pm, and to make matters worse I paid them before Christmas. I think I really have got mug tatooed on my forehead.

Lynn

G

Gazzer

Lynn have you paid them for all of the work they were required to do, or just the work they did until Christmas? I'd be inclined to turn their daily rate into an hourly rate. Tell them if they want their daily rate, then they turn up and do a full day and that the clock card system will be watching them.

If ever I have worked or subbed to anyone on a daily rate then it is also understood that a full day should be acheived. Any late starts and early finishes were taken into account.

If ever I have worked or subbed to anyone on a daily rate then it is also understood that a full day should be acheived. Any late starts and early finishes where taken into account.

Depends on the contractor with me, some it's a case of swings and round-abouts, on a mutual understanding, some get broken down to hours based on an 8 hour working day, you could always do it that way, confront them with the hours that they 'worked' as per smart reader, pay them for those hours and get shot of them.

P

Pebbs

I didn't sleep last night, washing machine mind, everything whirls around. So this morning met them, and had it out with them. They went a bit mental when I pulled out the clocking sheet, the problem is you cant prove or disprove these sheets, as they can leave via the goods entrance. So we have reached a compromise, they are being split up and two labourers are going in on Tuesday, and then they are getting paid at the end of the contract. But I made it crystal clear that there were going to be deductions coming their way if the job isen't finished in 7 days time. So they better pull their fingers out.

This is my fault I should have been more on the ball on this one. You can't let things slip on one site because your snowed under on the other jobs. I am back down there on Monday as the site conditions are disgraceful, logistics are a nightmare, the materials are a good 15 min walk away from the working areas, that has to change. Also some of the areas to be worked in are covered in rubbish and these are supposed to be clear areas as agreed. Its 6 of one and half a dozen of another.

Alan I went to see your brother afterwards on one of the other sites, and went for breakfast with him. He's doing a really nice job, I wish a few more people were like him!

Thanks everyone, I hate to rant, but last night/this morning I was a woman over the edge!

Cheers

Lynn

J

jonnyc

I would do similar as above but would pay them only for the hours due at end of project.
better get it completed by same people rather than getting someone new in and maybe more problems.
It's whether you can contain yourself for that long Lynn, I suspect not and of course you somehow need them to think there is nothing array by not paying as they as before.
i know it costs me dear but that's why I have always employed my guys.plus and minuses .
i tell you what though Lynn , there is sure to be some top notch tilers /marble guys coming over here from Bulgaria and Romania right now.
There will be a language issue but sometimes that is good as they are more likely to stay with you if you have a permanent member of your tilers who is prepared to help them adapt to uk site work.
that is what I would be doing in your place if you are busy.

Alan I went to see your brother afterwards on one of the other sites, and went for breakfast with him. He's doing a really nice job, I wish a few more people were like him!

Thanks everyone, I hate to rant, but last night/this morning I was a woman over the edge!

Cheers

Lynn

That's the way WE roll Lynn, the job gets done, end of, Charlie and myself are grafters, although I did call him this morning to check, you know Charlie lol ;) anyway, hope all comes good for you.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to You know when you've been taken for a mug in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A
Hi all. In line with my other thread asking for some opinions on tiling layouts for my bathroom...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
Just revisited a lady I originally quoted to tile a bathroom for about 6 weeks ago. She decided...
Replies
Views
After seeing ProTilers work Tshirts, I thought we have to have them :) Anyone else have...
Replies
Views
I got confused on a post recently where Ash (Mr TeaBag) asked some questions over tanking with a...
Replies
Views
I
Some of you may remember this wild pink bathroom I did in gulfstone quartz a couple of years...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB