UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss You will like this rant... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rich

It seems that the Xmas rush has well and truly got under way for me (I think thats a good thing?). Iv been working on a job thats been in the pipe line for many months now and I got to meet the customers for the first time yesterday. The builder and the surveyor had come for the meeting and me and my brother were tiling the bathrooms. The customers have picked some really really odd tiles in this manor house, big old bathrooms with 10x10s on the walls and what have you. The had also picked trav for the kitchen floor.

I was tiling away and listening to the meeting going on out side the room, my brother was in the process of talking the customers out having the 600x400 sandstone cut down into different sizes in order to have a random pattern floor. The surveyor pocked his head round the door and asked if he could have a word. he had a 600x400 trav tile under his arm and asked me "is this a floor tile?" I said no, they are to thin and terrible quality (there were more holes right through the stone then actual stone). It turns out the customer likes the holes and doesnt want them filled. I explained that that wouldn't be wise at which point the surveyor interrupts with this speech:

"We have a very thin stone tile with lots of holes in that the tiler has said are not suitable for floor tiling and we have under floor heating. These things give us a very high chance of the tiles cracking. We will lay them and then cross our fingers very tightly and hope they dont break." I just stared at him as I couldn't believe what he had said. Then the customers son (who is paying) asked the surveyor "so why did you order wall tiles for the floor?" and the surveyor replied "oh its because of the codes. We will lay the floor and if it does crack then the tilers will just come back and re grout and the floor will probably look better as it will look more antique"

The eat it up, this man is my hero! :yikes:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to You will like this rant... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi I have ordered the Wunda Rapid Response underfloor heating for my kitchen. We were going...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
Topps Tiles in-store or online - Genuine Feedback, Positive or Otherwise. I used to work in a...
Replies
Views
Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.