UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Your Tiling Course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jumpa58

Hi All
Hopefully, some of you are reading this, thinking of attending a tiling course course.I was in your position about 2 months ago and after reading the posts on this forum I bit the bullet and enrolled on NE Tiling.
Am i glad i researched the different training companies on the web...mentioning no names some of the lads did not cover on their course what Darren covered on the first afternoon.
The course is very fast paced with a great deal of info to take in, however I cannot speak highly enough of Darren, Paul and Tracey. Nothing was to much trouble and I have gone from a keen DIYer to a competent tiler who will not be afraid to take on a paid job... I had the fortune of staying with a friend whilst on the course who lived in a very expensive house I even had the confidence to tell him what a rubbish job the so called tiler did in his luxury bathroom pointing out to him the mistakes in setting out etc.... slither cuts everywhere
I am now looking forward very much to the natural stone course
So if you are thinking of going on a course give Tracey or Darren a call they are very friendly and everything will be explained to you..even helping you find digs etc.. you will not be dissapointed

B

BrhTiling

I went for a 4-week course with Coventry Building Workshop....

Overall a very positive experience, I think I have mastered all the basics and I am confident that I can walk into customers house and do a nice job tiling walls/floors with nearly all types of tile. I would have no problem taking on a brickbond pattern or diamond patterned job.. or working on uneven surfaces/floors.

We had 2 different instructors over the first week and then another guy for the following 3 weeks, which meant we had the opportunity to see how 3 different people all with years of experience would go about doing the same sort of jobs in slightly different ways but all with the same end result!!

As with all things I would say there is room for improvement....at some point in the future I might want to do a weekend course in mosaic tiling to perfect the art, as we didn't cover a great deal of the bays with the tiny mosiac tiles, But then again I tiled a whole wall in one day with the medium sized mosiac tiles just not the really tiny ones. (They are a pain once the backing gets wet / soggy aren't they!!)

Coventry building workshop also offer other types of courses so you do pick up a few other handy tips too - I learnt how to safely remove a radiator to tile behind and how to properly box in around pipes using plasterboard too.

I'm hoping to go back and do 1 week courses in plastering and plumbing too, so that I can go self employed and take on any job with confidence.

Where ever you decide to go make sure you shop around first.... whilst on this course I met one other guy who had come straight from another centre (shall remain nameless) and had nothing but a large hole in his wallet to show for his experence, also had another 2 visitors come around the centre to check it out whilst we were there and they also had mis-giving about another training provider.

Stick to the recommended courses on this forum & you should do well.... also don't expect something for nothing, training is expensive, even if you go via a college.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fekin

I did my tiling course at the Elite school of plastering, in Manchester somewhere.

Not a bad course, great lads to have a bit of banter with, only small though.

They only had 3 tiling bays in there at that time, think they expanded it now.

Thing is though, I have since learnt a lot more from reading these forums, which I would of thought they should of told us on the course, and there wasn't much talk about how to price up a job, only mentioned that you can easily charge anywhere from £15 to £25 per sqm of tile to be laid.

But at the end of the day, I left there confident enough to tackle my own bathroom, and now paying jobs, so I guess it was worth it.

H

Holohana

Where ever you decide to go make sure you shop around first.... whilst on this course I met one other guy who had come straight from another centre (shall remain nameless) and had nothing but a large hole in his wallet to show for his experence, also had another 2 visitors come around the centre to check it out whilst we were there and they also had mis-giving about another training provider.

Hi matem interesting comments. Could you share, off line, who they were? [email protected]

M

Mctile

i did tiling course at yta and it was very poor it is more like a diy course (just 1 week) its 1 year since i have done the course and from the info on this site i've been robbed, i would not set up tiling with the training from this course and i am thinking of going on another course when i have looked in to the other companys as i have lost confidance in training courses at the moment

Reply to Your Tiling Course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Beginner Tiling Courses 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 Day Tiling Courses? These are brilliant for a DIY...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Stoke-on-Trent College provide Tiling courses for school leavers and mature students with both...
Replies
Views
Hi I am thinking of training to gain city and guilds on weekends I’m just wondering is there...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.