Search the forum,

Discuss Starting out on my own!!!! Feedback Please in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com.

Hello my names paul and im 22 years old. Ive been tiling under a few companies since i started out 4 years ago; but things always go wrong, in the sense, work runs out or most recently had a disagreement with the boss.

This sort of thing is depressing and just reduces my motivation; The only other option i can see around this, is totally going out on my own. ive got all my tools and im clued up in what im doing. i feel confident enough to start my own business but i need help in how to do so.

im not sure where to look for work?

Do i go to tile depots and drop off my card or do i ask them if they have work i can undertake?
The phonebook?
Drop letters through peoples doors?
Try to advertise in local papers, yell.com?
write to other tiling companies and ask for sub-contracted work?

The advertising and getting my name out is the hardest part for me...im just not sure how to go about it.

the other issue i have, im not quite sure how to price up a job? i no its generally based on a square metre price, but how much do i charge per metre? would u include adhesive and grout under your metre price? the work will mainly be porcelain/ceramic but i hope to get a few stone jobs aswell.

this is not a competitive thing, i ginuwinely want to get started and would just like a few pointers/tips, im not here to try and do others out of work.

if u dont feel you want to leave a message here, you can leave me an email at PLEASE PM THE MEMBER

thank you for reading and i hope i will get the right feedback.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
P

PGM Tiling Solutions

Hello Paul and Welcome to the forum. I am hoping to go it alone this time next year and your questions pretty much reflect my own questions/worries! There is some good past posts on here and the advice and help offered is really good. I have recently attended a training/advice morning run by Business Link. It is a government sponsored scheme designed to assist people in starting up their own business. They don't do it for you (unfortunately!!) but they offer advice and guidance in starting up, running and growing businesses. I did my information day in Plymouth but I am led to believe it is nationwide. Worth looking them up in your area mate and they advise you contact them 3 months prior to going alone although this is flexible.

Good luck mate

Paul

D

Daz

In addition to the great advice above....

1. Apply the 3 foot rule.......Give a business card to anyone within 3 feet of you.
2. Contact all your local plasterers, plumbers, builders etc. and introduce yourself.

As far as pricing goes, be confident. With your experience, you should be able to work out how long a job will take, what prep work is required, what materials are required etc.. Take your time and price it at a rate that you will be happy to do the job at.

Good luck with your business move :thumbsup:.

Daz

S

sriel1

Try looking for property developers, housing market is not as bouyant as a few years ago although developers are always looking for sub-contractors. You might not get paid as much as the residential jobs but its still work non-the-less and you'll meet plenty of other tradesmen you could help you get more business. Letting agents in student areas are always on the look out for tradesmen too, especially during the summer when the properties are empty and being decorated for the new academic year. Best of luck to you.

Reply to Starting out on my own!!!! Feedback Please in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays