Discuss Edwardian Tiling With A Modern Twist! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

.....I have a repeat client that has just had a good size kitchen extension built and I am programmed to tile the 52m floor in November, and they have chosen an Anthracite
wood effect Porcelain floor tile, 1000 X 220.
Should look amazing!

However, currently they are in the process of choosing a wall tile to suit they're style of home, which is Edwardian.

They're leaning toward a cream metro tile! To match their new Shaker Style Kitchen.
Ooooow! that one sneaked up on me! :D
The kitchen comes in several pastel colours, which one I don't know as yet.

Anybody that even kinda knows me, should by now realise that personally I think that Metro Tiles are the Devils creation!!!! :eek:

So If anyone , members or visitors, could offer any ideas at all as to an alternative, I'd be extremely grateful!
The client is open to any ideas and it's only about 3-4m of walls to be tiled.
It would need to give an Edwardian feel, but would definaty be more up to date, whether it be in design or whether it be in the way of materials.

Your help would definitely be very welcome!

Oh.....and I got nothing! Haha

THANKS ALL!

O

Old Mod

There are loads of Metro sized tiles now that are FLAT, which look much classier (no doubt more expensive though) I would think a cream one of those, brick-bonded would look fabulous with a grey grout?

Thank u P4ulo, perhaps I should define the metro tile in my world! Haha
That would be ANY tile that is even vaguely similar to the 'Metro Tile'

Thanks tho P4ulo, appreciate u taking the time to reply mate, but
NO NO NO! ;)

O

Old Mod

Uh huh!
I've been fixing 'metro style' tiles for over 30 yrs now, and if I was to say I've seen my fill, that would probably be The single biggest understatement I've made on here! :D
There HAS to be something else!! Haha
I'd sooner fix brick bond 6 X 6! At least it wouldn't be 8 X 4's or 6 X 3's!
It's just sooooooo had its day!
But, again I thank you for ur opinion!
Even tho it's crap! Hahahaha ;);)

O

Old Mod

I actually think they look ghastly, it's not about fixing them, although I'll confess maybe there's a hint of that!
And if I'd spent the best part of hundred grand on improving my home, the very last thing I'd want is a kitchen that looks like everyone else's!
Anyway I was just asking for alternate ideas mate not a debate on the virtues of the 'metro tile' :)
But thank you @p4ulo, your comments are duely noted,
and filed under ' bin!' :rolleyes:

P

p4ulo

@3_fall what kinda worktop are they going for? - how about a black white and grey geometric Edwardian floor on the wall? Could you spec a mosaic and get it sheeted as MissTiler suggests?
or something like this on the walls as a splash-back?

693fd8a6-2806-4012-8809-392a1ad49f77-290-720.png

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Use the planks, bet that look ace as a splash back, possibly not in anthracite but maybe a washed white/cream. I've not seen a splashie done with planks.

Well Bri that was my first thought, I reckon it'll look superb in a washed oak or similar (personally I'd go darker but think that may be too radical for them! Haha)
The room could def take it!
image.jpeg

It's certainly wide enough to take something bold!
And I will try, but feel it's not 'in keeping' enough haha
Cheers Bri, option 1 for sure.

O

Old Mod

What about 100mm or 150mm patterned tiles, glazed or encaustics? If a whole patterned wall is too much you could just have one row that is patterned.
You could even have a basic vic/Edwardian pattern in more modern colours on the wall instead of the floor. Get it sheeted at London Mosaic to make it easier to install :)

Sharon, excellent idea, like the idea of encaustic as a 2nd option!

Geo mosaic, that's not three bad either! :rolleyes:

Kool thank you!

O

Old Mod

@3_fall what kinda worktop are they going for? - how about a black white and grey geometric Edwardian floor on the wall? Could you spec a mosaic and get it sheeted as MissTiler suggests?
or something like this on the walls as a splash-back?

Thank u P4ulo! I would like to think at the very least I could get them to do something like that!
It's not radical and it's still different!
Cheers!;)

Reply to Edwardian Tiling With A Modern Twist! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

O
Hey guys, gals, I'm to see a potential client over the weekend and he would like his hallway...
Replies
Views
S
T
Hello, We’re on the home straight of our new kitchen being fitted, and the fitter has been...
Replies
Views
Blunt Tool
B
L
Replies
Views
Kevbos
K
Evening guys and girls. looking for some help sourcing a tile, decorative ceramic or something...
Replies
Views
O
Hey guys, So I got this terrace to tile and grout, thankfully only 3.2m X 900mm in these tiles...
Replies
Views
Italy
I

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB