UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss marble stone tiles without grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

joriginaloak

I have some amazing marble tiles which i want to but joint without gaps. The patern is awseome after carefully picking each one individually and aranging them to seem like one seemless wall plate. I wish to install them in the shower area without any grouting or spaces to spoil the effect. The edges are cut with sharp straight angles and butt upto one another great. could someone advise on the best way to achieve a seemless finish so that i may enjoy these tiles and my shower experience please?

T

Terry Cottar

The finish in hotels you are talking about is called a monolithic look. It is achieved by flood grouting the 1mm joints and then grinding, honing and repolishing with diamonds. Unsanded grout is more common in the USA than here but it is available in the UK from Mapei. It is used over sanded grout for tight joints on Marble for two reasons: Firstly there is less chance of variation when grouting because there is no grain/grit/silica in it so therefore you get the grout in more evenly and secondly when polishing the stone with diamonds there is no chance of getting grit under the diamonds and scratching the marble when you are honing or polishing however both sanded and unsanded are available as modified grouts and therefore flexible allowing some movement.

Having said all this it sounds as though from your description you have "Book Matched Marble" and if this is the case you would be better off leaving a 2mm joint to comply with BS and then grouting with an epoxy coloured grout to suit each part where it joins. Painstaking but effective. Furthermore, and finally you need to check the weight prior to fixing the marble to plasterboard (32Kg is the max weight reccommended including grout and adhesive) and if it is going in a shower area I would strongly still consider tanking the plasterboard prior to fixing and sealing the marble thoroughly after fitting.

tel

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to marble stone tiles without grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.