UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss When do I use a Decoupling Membrane?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all :thumbsup:

Having never used this product I just want to get things straight.

1. I've just been out to 2 quotes and both of them are using natural stone onto concrete screed. One has piped heating under the screed and the other hasn't. Is it best to quote membrane for both of these jobs as they are both natural stone or just the one with the heating or none of them?

2. Is it necessary to use the membrane when laying natural stone tiles on an upper level onto 9mm ply using fastflex?

3. Is it necessary to use the membrane when laying natural stone tiles on an upper level onto 18mm ply using spf addy?

4. Is it necessary to use the membrane when laying ceramic/porcelain on an upper level onto 9mm ply using fastflex?

5. Is it necessary to use the membrane when laying ceramic/porcelain on an upper level onto 18mm ply using spf addy?

Cheers Ross :thumbsup:

W

wetdec

Uncoupling membranes :

How they work

put one hand flat on a desk sit an egg on it ..... slide the hand away...egg smashes right........

Now put 2 hands flat on top of each other on the desk and get an egg put on top .....slide the bottom hand away..............egg is safe

Thats how it works uncoupling membrane 2 hands = 2 layers with the tiles on top, when the floor moves the bottom layer moves while the top layer keeps your tiles safe.

Now this only aplies to lateral movement thats movement accross the surface not vertical movement. eg the floor expands or contracts.

Therefore if you have any doubt that the floor is going to move lateraly you use an uncoupling membrane especialy with stone

Heated floors expand and contract

Wood floors expand and contract

New screeds expand an contract.

tiler

T

TilingLogistics

Uncoupling membranes :

How they work

put one hand flat on a desk sit an egg on it ..... slide the hand away...egg smashes right........

Now put 2 hands flat on top of each other on the desk and get an egg put on top .....slide the bottom hand away..............egg is safe

Thats how it works uncoupling membrane 2 hands = 2 layers with the tiles on top, when the floor moves the bottom layer moves while the top layer keeps your tiles safe.

Now this only aplies to lateral movement thats movement accross the surface not vertical movement. eg the floor expands or contracts.

Therefore if you have any doubt that the floor is going to move lateraly you use an uncoupling membrane especialy with stone

New screeds expand an contract

tiler

Great Post:hurray::hurray::hurray: What a brilliant explanation:thumbsup:

Kev

Uncoupling membranes :

How they work

New screeds expand an contract

This pdf will help you out Durabase Ci uncoupling matting

tiler

Perfectly explained. Thx Mate :thumbsup:

W

wetdec

Well unless its a heated screed you shouldnt need durabase ci as long as the screed has had time to dry properly. If I were you I would lift the ply and start from the concrete yourself. All very well tiling over their ply but if it pops then it becomes your problem.

Make youself a chicken shed out of the ply and do the job as you would normally.

Sneaky suspicion there is a reason for the ply tho.....mmmmmmmmmm

tiler

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to When do I use a Decoupling Membrane?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in our renovated kitchen tomorrow. Tiles are 450x450x10...
Replies
Views
Hi, hoping for some advice.... Had a anhydrite screed laid early Feb. Looking at laying 20mm...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've just had the whole ground floor of a house we are working on levelled with a pump in liquid...
Replies
Views
Bishbbashbosh
B
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.