Discuss 15 reasons not to choose Hardy board ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
You can use Hardy on wooden floors,

You can't use Hardy on concrete.

The primary function of HardieBacker cement backerboard is to provide a water resistant flat surface to tile on; it is not designed for use over concrete. The minimum sub-floor specified is 15.8 mm exterior grade plywood sub-flooring with a deflection not greater than 3mm for live and dead loads over joists that do not exceed a span of 400 mm centres.

You can't dot & dab Hardy.

No. HardieBacker cement board is not suited to this type of fixing application.

Both answers taken jameshardy.co.uk website.

Having seen quite a few other vids on Hardy Board
You might be about the video. There seems to be a few other products similar to hardy on the market, it possible could be one of them?

Well,I ain't gonna argue with a man who googles every bloody thing ;)
I don't just use hardi,I ain't bothered either way,carry on son :)

that's not strictly correct. you can use mapeigum tanking on hardie and mapei say that it will hold whatever the original substrate will hold. i've spoken to their tech dept several times about this and they assured me it ok to do this. aslo if you call the tech dept at hardie they say you can use it in shower enclosures with their tape. hardie are also ok with using the mapeigum as well. this means that 20mm stone can be set safely even when it goes up to 70 or 80 kg per m2. had to find this out recently as doing a job with a very heavy marble, and they asked me how to prep the room for me. however, given the choice i'd take marmox/ wedi over hardie any day of the week.

Tried to find spec on mapei and failed.
Be intrested in reading there spec on Mapeigum if you can find it.
As for using Hardy in wetrooms with just there tape. Hardys website says you must use a tanking kit, so not sure why there tech dept guy contradicts that?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
All I did was answer the questions you asked, on why you couldn't use it.
As for a man who googles every bloody thing.. quoting Hardys website is the best answer you can get.

Ha ha touchy touchy !
I aint got a clue why you made this thread apart from you work for marmax ;)
Hardi is great stuff, so is marmax, we get it you live the stuff, no need in having a personal vendetta against em.
Good night god bless, birthday week end starts

NOW !

education-teaching-scientists-equations-equations-computations-brains-kmhn109l.jpg.png Not only to be a tiler but a boffin as well.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
did you drill and screw or did you fix with just adhesive??

Well........ I used it before I knew you were supposed to stick it down to fill the voids. I drilled, plugged and screwed it every 200mm or so ( used the on board grid as the measure) the floor underneath was levelled using a leveling compound first though so it was good and flat. I used the hardi because the levelling compound did not stick the the concrete properly and delaminates in a couple of patches. That was about 3 years ago and it is fine so far.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Well........ I used it before I knew you were supposed to stick it down to fill the voids. I drilled, plugged and screwed it every 200mm or so ( used the on board grid as the measure) the floor underneath was levelled using a leveling compound first though so it was good and flat. I used the hardi because the levelling compound did not stick the the concrete properly and delaminates in a couple of patches. That was about 3 years ago and it is fine so far.

ive also used it on a couple of screeds one was stuck and screwed the other was just stuck as there was wet UFH in the screed

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester

did you level over one of your gypsum screeds.....:sofahide:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 15 reasons not to choose Hardy board ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Looking for advice on how much adhesive to use. I’ve taken on my first tiling project and found...
Replies
Views
Hello I need to rip out and refit my bathroom, including retiling a bath area which will have a...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I would very much appreciate the advice of anyone who has fitted Marmox boards as I have decided...
Replies
Views
Hey, this is my first time attempting to tile in my first home. Did a bunch of research last...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB