Discuss 160mm hole in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spare Tool

Just been to look at a job tiling with 600x300 glass tiles, there to be fitted behind an imitation log burner (gas) its got a chimney and this goes into the wall, chimney 150mm so does any body do a 160mm glass hole cutter or am i scribe n nibbling? Be better if i could get a hole cutter as back of tiles are silver leaf and tiles are 90 bats a piece so don't want to breaking any..

S

Spare Tool

The holes I drilled in the glass job I just put up yesterday were done with a regular brand new tile drill with continuous rim. Similar to porcedrill bits. But had to come in from both sides or the backing was destroyed. I used plenty of water and a drill guide to hold it steady and just used a regular combi drill.
Maybe some of that info will help.
Thanks for that, going in from both sides is a good tip to avoid ruining the backing...just checked your other thread and pics, lovely job that, faultless cuts n mitres :thumbsup:
Still don't know where I'm gonna get a 160mm diamond bit from, and if there's none available it's fingers crossed chimney lands on a grout line then it's out with the nippers
I've been told by the tile shop it's fine to use webber set plus with AD250 to fix these, 4mm adhesive on tile and 4mm on wall.. so would that be against original style guidelines?

O

Old Mod

Thanks for that, going in from both sides is a good tip to avoid ruining the backing...just checked your other thread and pics, lovely job that, faultless cuts n mitres :thumbsup:
Still don't know where I'm gonna get a 160mm diamond bit from, and if there's none available it's fingers crossed chimney lands on a grout line then it's out with the nippers
I've been told by the tile shop it's fine to use webber set plus with AD250 to fix these, 4mm adhesive on tile and 4mm on wall.. so would that be against original style guidelines?
Yeah definitely! Spoke at length with original style rep Phill, they've had issues in the past with different adhesives and tested a number of different ones too.
The only adhesive they will recommend is the Keraquick with latex plus. I was mixing enough for about 3-4 tiles at a time, I found that was more than enough. As far as grout is concerned any fine grout will be ok, I used Ardex FS. Grouting was very straight forward. Found I had to cut it right back to below the chamfered edge otherwise the joints looked enormous. My client preferred to try and match the tile rather than contrast it.

S

Spare Tool

Yeah definitely! Spoke at length with original style rep Phill, they've had issues in the past with different adhesives and tested a number of different ones too.
The only adhesive they will recommend is the Keraquick with latex plus. I was mixing enough for about 3-4 tiles at a time, I found that was more than enough. As far as grout is concerned any fine grout will be ok, I used Ardex FS. Grouting was very straight forward. Found I had to cut it right back to below the chamfered edge otherwise the joints looked enormous. My client preferred to try and match the tile rather than contrast it.

I've spoke to Phil before, knows his stuff..
I got recommended for this job by a local tile shop, they are supplying all materials and guess what they are webber exclusive stockists, gonna have to get them to speak to original style then they can hear the recommended adhesive for themselves and not think it's me being awkward..my local stockist of mapie is TG, least the webber fine joint grout will be ok, my customer selected silver grey so should match in nicely. Not too much cutting involved in this job..flat wall 3 full tiles wide 2.3m high n floor being tiled so just a ceiling cut to worry about...and this god dam hole...every job there's always summet!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 160mm hole in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

D
How do I drill a hole in a steel bath. Or cast iron bath. Instructions on drilling into baths...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
O
Hi All I have been asked to tile the insides of an old chimney breast that is going to have a...
Replies
Views
On one
O
A
Hi, I'm a punter. I've been left with a built-out 'box' that sits on an outside wall that...
Replies
Views
angelas
A
J
got a decent sized floor to start next week . approx. 220 sq mts . will be laying ditra mat. I...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
H
Hi I have previously tiled with ceramic tiles but this is my first foray into the world of...
Replies
Views
SJPurdy
S
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB