Discuss 18mm Bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

N

nsko

I am having a real nighmare at the moment with floors, next one on my list a plumber is boarding out a bathroom floor with 18mm 3.5m2 floor area ready for suite and tiling. Do i still need to put down 6mm backer board? or can i tile straight onto the ply, i was told on course that tiling onto plywood floor is ok, but seems backer board is flavour at the moment or is it a belt and braces thing?

G

grumpygrouter

Hello mat. to be totally honest its alot easier and better to tile onto 12mm backer board... forget putting down the 18mm ply and just use backer, unless he is using the ply as the floor ie no floorboards and screwing it down to the joists.... if this is the case then would prob use 6mm backer ontop.... hope this helps u out a bit matey
Which make are you suggesting for floors?

W

wetdec

Hello mat. to be totally honest its alot easier and better to tile onto 12mm backer board... forget putting down the 18mm ply and just use backer, unless he is using the ply as the floor ie no floorboards and screwing it down to the joists.... if this is the case then would prob use 6mm backer ontop.... hope this helps u out a bit matey

The above may be your opinion BUT the floor is already down and he wants to know how to proceed ......:mad2:

G

grumpygrouter

Hardibacker 500 is okay for floors.

"At 12 mm thick HardieBacker® 500 cement board is the ideal choice for wet area walls; its smooth surface may be tiled, textured or wallpapered. However, if additional height is required HardieBacker® 500 cement board may also be used for floor or worktop applications."
Straight onto the joists though as implied in the previous post?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 18mm Bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB