Discuss 1st floor shower wet room. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kelvin

TF
Dear All......

Finally getting around to doing the ensuit showeroom and am considering a wet room system.
Looked on here and on the net and there is too much info to digest !!

Would any of you care to act as consultants specific to my project??

Background info.

Complete studded room ready for finishing,so from the floor up i would like the advice of you in the know to advise me on the right way forward if you dont mind.

The room size is 6 m2.
The room height is 2.4m.

I plan to use an underfloor heating mat under the tile (Pls advise).
As its 1st floor im considering a tanking method (Pls advise).

Any recommendations for the best products and services would be greatly appreciated as we are pushing the boat out on this one and would only want to do it once.

Also if this is done properly how long should it last for if using the best products.

I imagine you have been asked this kind of question 101 times so i will thank you all in advance.

Rgds,

Kelvin.

D

davemul

Doing the same as you at present, from scratch! check out my work in progress thread in tiling forum. Basically going all out aswell.

new ceiling with downlights/taptile controller and speakers
replumbed entire bathroom with a shower pump also. (you will need a pump for a wet room shower)
fitted concealed grohe thermostat and shower head
Added extra noggins to joists
Marmox showerstone tray
plumbed a dry deck 20 waste pump system
insulate all hot water pipes, and lay insulation in between joists / wall studs
18mm wbp plywood floor base (primed underneath and on edges with mapei primer g)

thats where I am up to at present. I'm knackered!

next up will be marmox boards on to plywood floor
marmox wall boards
make wall niches
tank and tape wet room area
tile floor/wet room
tile walls
fit stand alone bath
etc etc...

ouch!

kelvin

TF
Sounds nice im going to call a couple of people in the know as discussed on this forum i also came across wet decs online they also sell same type equipment for wet room.

My plumber is installing a pressurised system which gives 3 bar pressure so should be enough for a mixer to provide a good power shower in this on suite bathroom.

My main concern is the floor as the more layers you put down the higher the level goes up? whats the minimum tile thickness you would advise on the floor.

Thx in advance .........

D

davemul

bare minimum your floor should be

18mm WBP plywood primed underneath and on edges
Flexible tile adhesive and lay marmox (or any other) cement boards. I say marmox because they are waterproof. Id go with 4mm or 6mm thickness for these
Then tape all the joints and edges with waterproof tape and then tank using say.. mapegum tanking liquid

marmox is waterproof but best to be double safe!

Then more flex tile adhesive and lay tiles.

im using 9mm porcelain

hope this helps

kelvin

TF
Great info cheers.

To keep the floor level down could you not batten out the joists and lay the WBP between the joist then lay the marmox over the top?

I could do this as i have a blank canvas and it just means ripping the wbp to 355mm between 400 joist centres.

This would keep the floor level down once tiled keeping it about the same FF level as the other rooms between my jack and jill bathroom.

Is this a possible solution?

R

Rich

If you would like my honest opinion, it would be to get all the gear that you need through the forum, the guys on here really know what they are on about and will only recommend the best. However when it comes down to the tiling, I would recommend getting an experienced tiler. Wet rooms are not DIY jobs especially on the first floor, there is sooo many things that can go wrong and it can cost thousands when it does. IMO it is not worth doing your self, I spend a lot of my time putting wet rooms right.

Might be worth asking admin (Dave) if he can recommended a good tiler in your area, it wont hurt to get a quote.

P

PHG Dave

Great info cheers.<br>
<br>
To keep the floor level down could you not batten out the joists and lay the WBP between the joist then lay the marmox over the top?<br>
<br>
I could do this as i have a blank canvas and it just means ripping the wbp to 355mm between 400 joist centres.<br>
<br>
This would keep the floor level down once tiled keeping it about the same FF level as the other rooms between my jack and jill bathroom.<br>
<br>
Is this a possible solution?

Hi Kelvin,
Interesting option to keep the height down but I wouldn't recommend it.
In an normal floor the sheet material helps spreads the load across several joists to reduce the possible deflection (the tongue and groove on wooden floorboards effectively ties the individual planks into each other)
What you are suggesting would almost leave each joist on its own to support the load on it which would result in greater localised deflection which could lead to cracked tiles.
Better option is to use WBP on top of the joists as normal followed by a layer of marmox boards to act as insulation for the heatmat (wood is an insulator but it is better in the longterm not to have the heat from the mat drying out the ply).
After you have installed the heatmat a layer of Mapei Renovating screed or other Fibre reinforced levelling compound over the top will protect the mat and add to the floor stiffness.
You are then ready to waterproof the the room - personally i prefer sheet membranes such as Durals WP mambrane but you could also use liquid kits such as Mapei Aquadefense along with flexible tape for the wall to wall and wall to floor corners.
For the walls if you are using Marmox boards instead of plasterboards then just tape the joints and screw heads and you should be watertight and ready to tile.

Hope this helps and good luck

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 1st floor shower wet room. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
1st floor shower wet room.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.