UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss 1st switching on of UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

john306

Hi, I've fitted UFH under tiles a few weeks ago now but have yet to turn it on.
My instructions say "start with floor temp of 20 - 22 deg c and increase by 1 deg c a day till desired temp is reached"
Question is....
What is a "desired temperature"?
The controller has a cut off setting of 40 deg c, so if its lets say desired temp is 35 deg c , then 1 deg c a day would take 2 weeks constantly on to achieve, I've read on here that its best to come back down the same too, so thats a month to set it all up?
Is this correct how I'm reading it?
Thanks for any info.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
You should run it up to maximum by throne degree per day then drop it back by the same one degree per day to its normal operating temperature. The maximum surface temperature shold be 27degrees centigrade so your stats will probably be set at around 22if measuring room temperature and 30 ish if measuring floor temperature. You will find it uncomfortable if itis much higher than this temperature.

R

Rookery

You should run it up to maximum by throne degree per day then drop it back by the same one degree per day to its normal operating temperature. The maximum surface temperature shold be 27degrees centigrade so your stats will probably be set at around 22if measuring room temperature and 30 ish if measuring floor temperature. You will find it uncomfortable if itis much higher than this temperature.
Once you've done this up n down procedure by throne (One?) degree per day and the floor has returned to cold, can you then wack it up to, say, 22 degrees in one go or should you wind it up gradually?

J

john306

Thanks for the replys.
I've left it a good 3 weeks since tiling.
According to the floor sensor today the temp without any heating on was 19 to 20 deg C, I did turn it on and get it up to 22 deg C quite quickly but even if only going to 30 deg C floor temp and back again in 1 deg C steps will take more than 2 weeks and I'm off on hols before then so I'll leave it till the autumn at least now.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I would yes.

I used to say turn it on to the temperature that matches the existing floor temperature, leave it 24 hours, turn it up a degree, leave it another 24 hours, keep doing that until the floor isn't heating up anymore no matter what temperature you set it to (meaning it's reached its max - you can also make a note of that temperature then too which can help you use it economically by not turning it up to that temperature all the time). Then bring it back down a degree per day until you hit the lowest temperature again.

Then use it as you wish. Should take a few weeks to do that, so you'll be doing the floor some good getting it slowly used to the heating and cooling.

Heard a few different ways of doing it. But I've never heard of just turning it on to its lowest for a few days then using it as you wish. Surely that's going to give the floor a bit of a shock wehen you suddenly whack it up to full?

Q

Qwerty

SLC / adhesive can be shocked if turned on too much too soon. I always advise my clients to establish existing floor temp and as Dan says, start here. I get them to set temp adding 1 degree per day to max, then down again. I have lost count of the number of clients who inform me via email "our new floor is lovely and warm!".....only 12 hours after I leave the house :yikes: Never been back to a failed job yet though :lol:

Please dont do it though......there is a first time for everything :thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
12 hours is a bit dodgy! Products will have cured but not actually dried out much then. So you'd be forcing them to try, which can ruin their strength. And that might not fail now. But in a couple of years time.

How many threads have we seen that start "UFH has been down 18 months now and cracks are starting to appear in the grout and a tile has come loose"....

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 1st switching on of UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Hope you are all having a fantastic Xmas. To cut a long story short I have installed...
Replies
Views
Hello. I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me out here; I've been reading as many threads...
Replies
Views
C
Hello all. I was hoping for some help with UFH issue. There seems to be many posts with...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.