Discuss 1st tile job DIY... advice needed. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

H

HorribleHagar

Hi I am about to tile my bathroom. It'll be my first time tiling. As the contractor has failed with the refurb of the ensuite (8 years from start of job til finished) and it is leaking again now after 2 years. I figured I might as well have a go at the master bath (can't do any worse than them surely).

Anyways I will be putting up hardie-board and kerdi on the walls and finally finish with white subway tiles with black grout.. On the floor I will be using ditra and black slate 60x30's. However, I am not sure how to put down the wires for underfloor heating. Do they go underneath the ditra or on top of the ditra?

Any help much appreciated.

H

HorribleHagar

you would be better posting a fuller description of what are on the walls and floor now, and what the substrates are, photo's would also be a good idea.

a fairly complex job for a first timer

A bloody mess on the floor at the moment :)

Currently I have chipboard with thinset which won't come off on the floor. I reckon I'll have to change the chipboard then I'll stick ply ontop. Then ufh and ditra will go ontop of the ply.

Walls currently consist of old tiles stuck onto plasterboard which I can't remove without breaking. I shall remove it all and stick Hardiebacker up. As for the ufh I got the info I needed from manufacturers documentation.

What is complex about it if I may ask? The job is starting to feel a bit daunting in terms of workload but I've got plenty of time.

PS. Metro and subway tiles are not the same albeit similar.

H

HorribleHagar

get a tiler to do it for you. you say the other room ended badly, so you should have learned that tiling is not that easy. There are so many things that you could do wrong with what you're trying to achieve. Take the advise and get a pro to do it for you. It will be a better job.

But then I don't get the joy of doing it myself!

Either way I have used 3 different tilers in the last few years and none of them have done a good job, scrimping on material, trying to blame joiners and plumbers, cracked grout. Squint tiles, dire wetproofing, grouting corners which should've been caulked etc.

T

Time's Ran Out

I totally agree DIY !
Thats what this forum is for to give you the advice you need to help you make a better job than if you didn't get the help you've asked for!
Now I'am sure that all the posts are aimed at getting you the best possible job ie. get someone in, but as you are keen and raring to go where can we start?
I'd get someone in!:smilewinkgrin:
As for the Ditra and underfloor heating cables - well I like my decoupling to happen under my Ufh.

S

Stef

A bloody mess on the floor at the moment :)

What is complex about it if I may ask? The job is starting to feel a bit daunting in terms of workload but I've got plenty of time.

PS. Metro and subway tiles are not the same albeit similar.

"What is complex about it?"

It's ok tiling is easy, get along to B&Q & get one of their videos & you will be a pro after this job.

Nothing complex about it you just stick the tiles to the walls..

I see you have had no joy with 3 tilers.

How did you pick these "Tilers"?

Did you do any research or did you stick a pin in the yellow pages?

H

HorribleHagar

I totally agree DIY !
Thats what this forum is for to give you the advice you need to help you make a better job than if you didn't get the help you've asked for!
Now I'am sure that all the posts are aimed at getting you the best possible job ie. get someone in, but as you are keen and raring to go where can we start?
I'd get someone in!:smilewinkgrin:
As for the Ditra and underfloor heating cables - well I like my decoupling to happen under my Ufh.

Cheers, reason I was a bit perplexed was that I put in UFH at my mates flat using a similar underlay that had space for UFH integrated into the underlay. Similar to this Ditra Heat-E https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLOsEPGQFWI

"What is complex about it?"

It's ok tiling is easy, get along to B&Q & get one of their videos & you will be a pro after this job.

No need to be condescending .

Stef said:
Nothing complex about it you just stick the tiles to the walls..

Yes with proper preparation and the right tools and the right methods.

Stef said:
I see you have had no joy with 3 tilers.

How did you pick these "Tilers"?

Did you do any research or did you stick a pin in the yellow pages?

First one came from rated people. Mother in law got him in.
Second and third worked for one of the largest contractor in Scotland and came on the insurers 'dime'.

Either way fwiw, that is the ensuite. I am doing the master bath.

Now; Steph if you really do not wish to help.. just stop.

H

HorribleHagar

This is what I got done today.

mess.jpg

thinset.jpg

Managed to got most of thinset off so it's smooth.
smoother.jpg

Ply made it nice and level. Had to leave a bit open to change pipe and move the heater and replace it with towel rack.
plied.jpg

S

Stef

Excuse me!!

You are the one that's came on here asking for help..

You are the one saying & I quote " what is complex about it"

I don't think my sarcasm has came across on my posts.

I'm not Being condescending, I'm trying to give you a bit of advice & save you some money by getting the job done to the highest standards possible.

Rated people? No thanks.

The largest tile firm in Scotland, TC??

I wouldn't see the most of their fixers in my road.

I would have been quite prepared to come & give you advice on how to get the job done correctly as I will be in Glasgow most of today (sat).
Even if you did want to tackle it yourself, I always give free advice & help, that's why I'm always on this forum.

D

DHTiling

H

HorribleHagar

what is complex about it"

I was asking as I genuinely wondered what aspect of what I had planned out would be complex. I do of course realise isn't something you go and do without reading up on quite rigorously on when it comes to best practices and methods.

Stef said:
The largest tile firm in Scotland, TC??

Nah not a tile firm. Clark Contracts... absolute cowboys.
The ensuite needs redone again and this time I'm gonna pick a tiling firm myself for the insurer to pay.
I am 99% sure the shower hasn't been tanked properly and the grout has cracks in it. Why this is the case I do not know. I'll upload pics if anyone is interested.

I always give free advice & help, that's why I'm always on this forum.
That is what makes a forum like this great and I am sure I'll get lots of help and advice here. I really.. really like tiles and the artistic aspect of tiling and wanted to learn by doing for a good ten years.

H

HorribleHagar

So what are the plans for your bathroom, and how can we help?

Tile the tub area and floor and stick up a mosaic backsplash at the vanity unit.

I've run into a snag. I'm not sure what tanking system to go with anymore. The original plan was to use hardiebacker with kerdi. Unfortunately Kerdi only comes in a 5m roll or a 30m roll. I need around 7m.

Is there any other tanking system that you guys would recommend me using with Hardiebacker? Would BAL's tanking system go well with hardie and the ditra on the floor? Or perhaps I should just bite the bullet and buy 2x5m rolls of ditra?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I've used the mix and roll on one that Ardex do on hardie before and found it very good. If you have a CTD near you they are on offer at the moment. Although its on the trade flyer I noticed it wad marked up on the shop floor at the same price today. You jight be abke to bkag it at the offer price.
Used BALs WP1 many times, and it is my preference, but never used it on hardie.

H

HorribleHagar

I've used the mix and roll on one that Ardex do on hardie before and found it very good. If you have a CTD near you they are on offer at the moment. Although its on the trade flyer I noticed it wad marked up on the shop floor at the same price today. You jight be abke to bkag it at the offer price.
Used BALs WP1 many times, and it is my preference, but never used it on hardie.

Thanks a bunch! Will go have a look at the ardex one at CTD. Looked at a youtube video and it looks like it is pretty easy to work with.

H

HorribleHagar

Hi guys I am now getting a bit concerned with the height difference of the floor. What is the thinnest ply you guys reckon I can use? Is a 6mm ply ok with DITRA on top if my grout lines are 3mm with a flexible grout?

On a side note I've never realised what a tough job is it is to tear down old tiles and plasterboard, It was over 30 degrees in the room and the dust triggered a pretty bad asthma attack, will make sure to wear a mask from now on.

After finishing the walls I slept for a good 11 hrs :lol:.

Reply to 1st tile job DIY... advice needed. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB