Discuss 1st time tiler in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

leec

hey everyone just wondering if you could give us a bit of info, ok im on the verge on tiling my bathroom floor its only a small bathroom 1.5m length 1,2m width, at the moment i have vinyl tiles down which im going to pull up and underneath i have floor boards what is the best option to put on top of the floor boards prior to laying the tiles ive seen ply wood or this tile back board stuff, and when down should i screw it to the fllor boards or use pva or both, and finally whats the best quality adhesive and grout for someone on a budget i havent got a great deal to spend on this project, cheers fellas if anyone could help us out :thumbsup:

B

brian c

welcome to the forums,where are you based?

First of all lift the vinyl tiles,make sure the floor boards have no movement in them and if they do then screw them down with 25mm screws..Then either use 12mm ply screwed at 200mm centres use 25mm screws as this will reduce the chances of hitting a pipe under the boards,prime the underside of plywood with primer but DO NOT USE PVA as this acts as a barrier between the floor and adhesive and could result in the tile not adhering to the plywood.I would recommend going to a tile shop for your adhesive,MAPEI PRODUCTS ARE VERY GOOD.You will need a flexible adhesive and a flexible grout for this job.Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brian c

sticky.gif
read this.

Reply to 1st time tiler in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi, apologies if this has already been covered before but I couldn't find anything in the forum...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all, relatively new to tiling but I’m giving it a good go! I’m having major probs with my...
Replies
Views
Andrew Smith
A

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
1st time tiler
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.