Discuss 2 bathrooms - under pressure! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Should be finishing the first this week but only just been told by customer that I need to be finished in 2 weeks as he has his team of decorators booked to come in and do a total redecoration of his house. I told him when I quoted I wasn't the fastest tiler out there but guaranteed him a fantastic finish and he was happy with that.
Was just supposed to be taking old tiles off and retiling walls and do the floors but now it's turned into new suites and towel rads. 3 weeks this first one will have taken me and I'm quite happy with that since I'm on my tod but now I feel pressure.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Bathroom 1:

DSCF1000.jpg

DSCF1001.jpg

DSCF1003.jpg

DSCF1002.jpg

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
From the old grout joints in shower area it was obvious there would be water damage and there was. Only ever ripped ONE shower out that hadn't had water damage - this is why I always tank. Bottom header stud was rotten and needed replacing and bottom meter of plasterboard was black with mould and disintergrated. Other wall was a skimmed block wall on sand and cement render and the old adhesive (tubbed) could be removed with a sponge.
DSCF1010.jpg

Unfortunately elsewhere the tiles mostly came off taking plaster skim too leaving a very uneven sand/cement scratch coat:
DSCF1009.jpg

Window wall wasn't too bad and used a concrete rubbing block to take off the high points. Other rendered wall was awful but couldn't overboard or I would have lost the shower tray :thumbsdown:

Leveled off as best I could with rapid set and ditched the idea of brick bond.

Last edited:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Removed window sill and made good:
DSCF1017.jpg

DSCF1019.jpg

DSCF1020.jpg

New plasterboard, tanked and levelled with rapid set:
DSCF1018.jpg

600x300 beige porcelain (makes a change.....not)
But these are polished and is my first time working with polished porc.
First thing I did was test if they would need sealing by marking a tile with a dry wipe marker and rubbing it off - this left a permanent stain so knew it would need sealing.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Tried out my new toy and love it!
Sure I would have nicked them JB pipes if I hadn't had this:
DSCF1011.jpg

New centers and chrome pipe for Towel rad
DSCF1012.jpg

DSCF1013.jpg

Tip: pushfits don't seal well on chrome pipes so use a compression cap to seal off before refilling the system (these help keep the diameter down for the holes that need cutting in the tiles too)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
try 7 large bathrooms with floors all mitred walk in showers, loads of mosaic panels and an 80m kitchen floor in 11 wks on my own :(

I would love to be able to do that in 11 weeks!!
I'd only work 15 weeks a year!!

Reply to 2 bathrooms - under pressure! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB