Discuss 2 this week in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

gamma38

TF
Bedford
I've been to look at two job's this evening, both have been done by local people. One was a plumber, the plumbing looked fine but his tiling was just about the worst i've seen. The customer wouldn't let me take any pics for myself. Shame. But the other one was a bathroom company who has a good reputation sells and installs them. It's been in for only six months and it looks as though it's been leaking from day one, I asked the guy about the prep work, boards, tanking etc, showed him pics of said tanking and his reply won't shock anyone. They never did any of that they just put them on the bare wall. The first one i have booked in for a re-fit and the second one looks likely to follow. All good for me but not the sort of work i want if i'm honest.

gamma38

TF
Bedford
We need pics pleeeeeeeaaaaase
I can't get any pics of the first one, the lady actually cried in front of me when i said i wanted to take some. She is just getting her husband to rip them all off and skip them, she never wants anyone to see any pics. Poor lady i did feel for her. The second one i will be getting pics if and when i get a start there.

J

jond500

It really makes me sad that people keep going through situations like this :( For some reason they just want cheap cheap cheap and end up paying more than they would have paid for the best finish in the first place by the right tradesperson.

I completed a 4 year apprenticeship in aircraft engineering, then added another 3 years at night school to add more theory to the practical. The point I'm making is that these people do not value the experience and training required to do the job well.

I'm currently re-doing my bathroom and have spent months reading up on how to do stuff right, most of which I have done myself; however when hiring trades I am not looking at price at all. The guy that I chose to do the plastering can't do it for 2-3 weeks as he is booked up, great references etc. There were many others prepared to come tomorrow and DO VER BOB in 2 hours....

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Jond500 - i regular have customers that want me to start asap. Most show great impatience when i say you've got a 4 to 6 week wait. They then try to sway me by saying they've got someone else that's been asked to quote and says they can start immediately. My answer is there's a reason for that. Good trades people are expected to have a waiting list. Anyone can start straight away screams alarm bells with me if im honest

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
on the flipside not all good tradesmen are busy,because all the rough cowboys take a lot of work,so you get cowboys doing the work and tradesmen sat at home,so someone who can start straight away is not always a cowboy ;)

Agreed. And thought that this morning after my post. This is where id probably be setting a similar time frame and making a call a little later saying i have cancellation.
I personally think being able to immediately would look negatively. But agree with your comments widler.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 2 this week in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB