4x4

Discuss 4x4 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I’m seriously thinking of buying a 4x4 for work. My Golf is just too small for carrying tools/adhesive etc. I have been looking at the Nissan X-Trail (about 7k worth), and about 6 years old. Can’t go for a van because of the kids. Most jobs are local and I do about 30 miles a day. Does anyone have a 4x4 and is it practical for tiling? Cheers Sean

D

Deleted member 9966

hi Sean

although I don't need a 4x4 for work (i'm not a tiler) I did consider a 4x4 to help me to get to work over moorlands and country lanes during the bad weather. the thing I've found though is that 4x4 prices are still on the up. people are still concerned that we will have another snowbound winter and so prices remain high or continue to increase on the most popular models and older models are also really holding their value.

I would say if you need the off roading capability of a 4x4 then go for it. The X-trail was on my list, as was Freelanders and Discovery's. But if you don't need it to go off road, I'd definitely say consider having an estate car. For the same money, you'll get a younger estate car, probably with better fuel economy and emissions and therefore you'll be paying less on RFL and fuel over the length of time you keep the car.

Just my twopenneth speaking from months of trying to decide what the best thing for me to do was :lol: I now have an 8 year old Volvo saloon for pootling around in and a Vauxhall Vectra hatchback for the family car with big boot capacity.

:)

E

enduro

I have a Mitsubishi L200 4x4 but i wouldnt use it for work due to the height of the back from the ground...Backs are two small, and a nightmare when you need something right at the back, you have to get up onto the tailgate to get it. You will say that will be ok, but once you have done it half a dozen times you will get fed up with it. If you get one get a box trailer. Or get a van like a vauxhall vivaro and get an extra set of seats fitted in the back. A mate of mine did cost him about £800. This has to be done professionally as you will need a certificate to comply for mot. His are on runners and you can remove them. Or find one already done, just make sure they have been fitted correctly.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Some good points from you that I have not even thought of - Thanks. I just thought that a 4X4 would be strong enough & big enough to carry a heavy load, as my golf is really beginning to 'squeak' with all the weight in the boot. My main complaint about the golf is that I quite often have to make 2 trips with tools etc. There would be no off roading in a 4x4 as I live just inside the M25 So I guess that's a point knocked off the 4x4. I will have to double check 4x4 prices with estates. Again, I had thought that the prices of 4x4's would be going down due to running costs etc, and I thought I would get a lot of car for my money. I just did a search on the vivaro (with an extra seat fitted). Not too practical, with having a 7 & 5 year old!.......I see it also comes in a minibus version, which again would not be too practical. Cheers again for all yr comments.

wayne

TF
leeds
i have a ford ranger and wouldnt swap it for anything else. i only carry what tools i need so dont pile everything in it like the van i had. gets me to london and back on a tank of diesel (from leeds) so not too bad on fuel.nice and comfy as well and kids love travelling in it. only problem i have found is chrome trims have to be strapped to ladder rail as they dont fit in cab

D

doug boardley

I've got an L200 that I use for work and love it! all the dust etc is contained in the pick up section so the cab can easily be kept clean. I also have a covered trailer that can transport wet cutters, tx1200, plasterboarbs etc. I bought it as a compromise as I knew we were going to buy a touring caravan so I wanted a dual purpose vehicle, I'd struggle to go back to a conventional van now:thumbsup:

S

Stewart

I just bought this new toy today as my defender blew it's head gasket last week.... As my apprentice has recently finished his second year, he can now take the transit home and have the responsibility of loading and unloading the van at the store giving me more time to chill. I pick it up next week......
56a16590-7210-5a9f.jpg

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Grumpy, my 9 year old Golf served me well, but it was always a tight squeeze with tools etc. Apart from my tiling tools I have to carry plumbing tools too (inc. pipe benders & gas torches etc). Then there is my undercut saw for doors. I just felt that I should go the whole hog and get something much bigger than I need. I wanted full leather too (easier to clean for when I use the car for my family). I wanted a strong car that could take the weight. I wanted a car that made me look more successful than I actually am! I wanted a car that was a pleasure to drive. I probably won't be too pleased when I'm always driving to the petrol station! I did look at a Volvo estate, but when I started looking at the X-Trails I fell in love. It's a bit of a treat to myself too.

W

White Room

I just bought this new toy today as my defender blew it's head gasket last week.... As my apprentice has recently finished his second year, he can now take the transit home and have the responsibility of loading and unloading the van at the store giving me more time to chill. I pick it up next week......
56a16590-7210-5a9f.jpg

Seen a lot more guys using them for work lately.

G

Gall.B

I’m seriously thinking of buying a 4x4 for work. My Golf is just too small for carrying tools/adhesive etc. I have been looking at the Nissan X-Trail (about 7k worth), and about 6 years old. Can’t go for a van because of the kids. Most jobs are local and I do about 30 miles a day. Does anyone have a 4x4 and is it practical for tiling? Cheers Sean

What did you eventually go for Sean? heres mine. 16062011145.jpg 16062011147.jpg

Was going out this morning but didnt know what car to take.

Attachments

• 31052011121.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 32

Reply to 4x4 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm getting towards the end of a major renovation that has taken 4+ years so don't...
Replies
Views
It was his first day today. I found him on mybuilder. He wasn't the cheapest quote and I chose...
Replies
Views
Q
    • Winner
    • Informative
So I was recently asked to fit some 3m x 1.5m 6mm thin porcelain in a new tile showroom. Mapei &...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Sean Kelly

Arms
TF
Ruislip

Thread Information

Title
4x4
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.