Guest viewing is limited

Discuss 600 x 600 porcelain floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

w.i.a.tile

Hope you can help me with this one.

I bought a new house 2 years ago and had a 600 x 600mm porcelain floor installed, tile approx 10mm thick, total coverage 25m2.

All was fine up untill about six months ago when i noticed movement in the tiles when anyone stepped on them. The grout joint around the tile is about 1.5mm wide which i understand is small but i believe needs to be tight for the final finish with this type of floor.

Sounds bizarre but holes in the grout keep apparing all over the place.

No tiles have cracked but they do sound hollow when you tap them with someting.

the floor substrate is a timber floating floor which was then over laid with marine ply 18mm thick and fixed every 6 inches.

the tiles were laid with a serrated trowel bed as i watched the tiler from time to time and i was very impressed with the end result.

I am begining to suspect that the tiler may have used the wrong adhesive and or grout which is contributing to these problems.

please advise adhesive and grout choice for this floor tile and for this substrate.

all i want is to get my floor back to how it was, if it means rip out and start again then so be it.

please help.

P.S. if i do rip it out and start again i will probably install electric underfloor heating. Please could you advise if this will have an effect on adhesive and grout choice.

E

enduro

Excuse my ignorance but. what is a floating floor? How can you tell?
Basically its a chipboard floor laid onto jablite or similar insulation, and its glued together so its not fixed to anything it just sits on top of insulation so it a floating floor, these are only on ground floor, so if its a fairly new house and ground floor is chipboard it will more than likely be a floating floor...BEWARE :ninja:

Reply to 600 x 600 porcelain floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
600 x 600 porcelain floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.