UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss 6mm ply under tray former to make my levels correct? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

ollymonkeynuts

Hi, Over the main bathroom floor im using 18mm WBP over joists with added noggins. On top of that will be 10mm Marmox board on a 2mm addy bed. Total 30mm.

The shower tray is a AKW tuff form tray (22mm). I wasnt going to put UFH over this tray just over the rest of the floor but looking at the levels if I was to put 6 or 8mm ply under the tray it would bring it in line with the rest of the floor. Then I could UFH and SLC over the whole floor.

If this ply is correctly primed (under & edges) would it be OK?

The other options are a) is not to have UFH over the tray, just to lay 18mm ply over all of the floor, put the tray onto this, then elsewhere 2mm addy, 12mm Marmox, 3mm UFH under 4-5mm SLC.
b) lay the tray direct to the joists then dont use Marmox just lay the UFH onto the ply and 1mm SLC to get it to the tray level.

Which would you do? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

ollymonkeynuts

With the tuff 2 former I sat on joists with extra noggins after removing a section of the floorboards....

Even when the tray is 22mm thick Im not convinced it wouldnt give a little over time as its plastic. Im learning to be 'better safe than sorry' when it comes to tiling rather than my normal 'a short cut is a good cut' attitude. Ive just ordered £350 of marmox! im taping all the joints not just in the wetroom shower area, stainless screws.....etc etc.

P

PHG Dave

Even when the tray is 22mm thick Im not convinced it wouldnt give a little over time as its plastic. Im learning to be 'better safe than sorry' when it comes to tiling rather than my normal 'a short cut is a good cut' attitude. Ive just ordered £350 of marmox! im taping all the joints not just in the wetroom shower area, stainless screws.....etc etc.

Good to hear you're doing the job properly:thumbsup:
Re the use of ply under the tray, if you had still been planning that route then it should not have been a problem as no water/moisture should be getting under the tray or associated waterproofing. If it does then you will have a lot more to worry about than than ply de-laminating!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 6mm ply under tray former to make my levels correct? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I'm embarking on tiling a kitchen, wall-to-wall (under washing machine etc). most of the floor...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.