Guest viewing is limited

Discuss 6mm Plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

nsko

Hi All, a builder has overboarded upstairs bathroom / ensuite with 6mm plywood which he wants me to quote for tiling, i,ve already raised my concerns quoting BS and said should be 15mm plywood over chipboard or 9mm min there is also 25m2 of walls, do i say only happy to tile walls or get him to sign my quote saying he was informed of issue with 6mm ply

help please got to see him tomorrow

nsko

G

grumpygrouter

Unfortunately in my experience many joiners seem to think 6mm is "standard" fare for tiling on to. Personally I would rip it up and put 6mm Hardie backer down. if there is a disclaimer, they will still blame you for doing it in the first place. explain to them WHY it isn't suitable, don't just quote BS at them, they are just guidlines anyway. Once they know the reason I find more often than not the customer wants it done correctly. if they don't want to change it, it will be your call as to whether you risk it or walk away. If it was me, it's is lifted or I don't do it!

N

nsko

Tricky when you are trying to get your business off the ground. It would be to easy for an experienced tiler with plenty of work to say NO, but you need the work. Suss the builder out and see if he will use 6mm backer board, (on offer at CTD tell him) but he might not care about the tiles failing in a years time but i bet he gives the tenants your number!

would you just screw the backerboard down or use adhesive onto the chipboard?

Reply to 6mm Plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
Bit of an intro - I'm a competent DIYer and have been refurbing the bathroom on and off for the...
Replies
Views
L
Hi everyone, a friend has asked me to tile their bathroom floor, it's a very small area around...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
6mm Plywood
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.