UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss £8 Per Metre in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dave l and l

ah well maybe get the private jet one day,
yeah living in london is very expensive so prices have got to reflect that especially if you are good at your job.i do the odd thing for free, but if its a bathroom you need to charge, even if its only a couple of hundred,
right i am going to glasgow to find this idiot that works for 6 per m2 and start subcontracting him out to people i dont like

G

garybadger

Some of the prices getting quoted nowadays is a scandal.
I know off a company in Glasgow, that's went round every commercial job(contractor) and said that whatever price they are given for tiling, they guarantee to beat it. Crazy.
£6m2 without being discriminating, they would have to be Polish. Couple of Polish labourers going round sites in Edinburgh, saying they will work for £20 a shift...
Seriously, how you meant to live on they prices?
Totally agree with the sign writing on vans as well. Van yesterday in Edinburgh, was all brick work, paving, fencing, turf work, Kitchens, Plastering decorating, full bathroom re-fits, wet floors and tiling???
Now surely even that is stretching it for a handyman?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
That sort of signwriting does my tree in.

I can see a bathroom fitter having "Bathroom Fitting, Tiling, Kitchen Fitting" and related things like that. But when you see "Paving, Roofing, Tiling, Gardening" and bigger lists of mixed trades, especially on one van and not a team, then you know he's going to be a bit of a jack of all trades master of non.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
People should stick to their guns for as long as they can still.

I hear many bigger contractors are seeing 20-odd tenders going in though when they're quoting for the work so I can understand it from some angle when they need to save money in other areas.

But it gets to a point when the tiling ends up shoddy and that's reputation damaged for the contractor so there has to be a happy medium somewhere down the line.

P

Pebbs

Tony I got to say something here, firstly yes it expensive living down here, but trust me, if you don't move with the market rates, then the main contractor will pull another company in from 'up north' make no mistake. There's two reasons for this, first they know they put some of these 'southerners' to shame, work every hour god sends because they want to make their money fast and get on the next train home. I do not price fix with other contractors, I price a decent rate for decent workmanship, not charge silly rates. I would be laughed of site if I ever asked for £120.00m2 for mosaic, and never get any repeat work.

I don't like the notion that London is a city paved with gold, because its not. There are plenty of good hard working tilers out there who are struggling out there to earn a decent wage, even down here. You are extremely fortunate to earn that type of m2 rate, but don't be rubbing peoples noses in it.

Lynn

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london
Tony I got to say something here, firstly yes it expensive living down here, but trust me, if you don't move with the market rates, then the main contractor will pull another company in from 'up north' make no mistake. There's two reasons for this, first they know they put some of these 'southerners' to shame, work every hour god sends because they want to make their money fast and get on the next train home. I do not price fix with other contractors, I price a decent rate for decent workmanship, not charge silly rates. I would be laughed of site if I ever asked for £120.00m2 for mosaic, and never get any repeat work.

I don't like the notion that London is a city paved with gold, because its not. There are plenty of good hard working tilers out there who are struggling out there to earn a decent wage, even down here. You are extremely fortunate to earn that type of m2 rate, but don't be rubbing peoples noses in it.

Lynn

:) well first i have benn working with this contractor for about 9 years. second: it is not just ordinary mosaic( up to £300 per sq.m to buy) and if you make mistake, it can cost you alot. CATALOGHI IT
and also conntractor drop 15% on top of my invoice. so what ever i charge he's got 15%. And ones again i don't charge £120 per sq.m for everything. Understand what you saying, been in this bussines for long :thumbsup: . Well more than 10 years. I just want to say i charge fair for quality ( at least my client is happy) :hurray: And i'm not saying i would not do lower rates.

P

Peter

Oh dear,

Had a call this evening and a lady was wanting a 3m WC floor done for Thursday and was in a bit of a panic. Told her I could probably squeeze it in tomorrow afternoon as I will be finished fairly early. Prompted me for a price on the phone and as all adhesive etc was there. Told her it was a bit hard to say without seeing the job, to which she said "How much are you talking, £20, £30, £40?". Said it'd probably be about 70 quid and she announced that she's going to give it a go herself. I thought that was a bargain for the short notice urgent job personally. Some headcases about.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
i had one a couple of months ago, 8m2 kitchen floor, 30mile round trip, and her budget was £60...:lol:......she rang me back cos the phone went dead when she told me her budget...lol..

Thats just less than £8 a metre Andy, no wonder you turned it down :smilewinkgrin:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to £8 Per Metre in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.