Discuss A big hole in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

E

edie

Greetings.

This is my first post here so go easy please.

20130311_160406.jpg

I have a hole to fill in a shower room, the picture shows it well.
I was thinking of taking the four tiles out that surround the hole and putting a piece of board or MDF in the gap and then tiling onto this piece of board.

I can use a slightly oversize piece of board cut into two halves so I can insert them into the hole and then was thinking of glueing the new board onto the back of the old board using gripfill ( I hope this makes sense).

Then I was thinking of simply grouting new tiles onto the MDF.

My question is does this sound like a good plan and also would grout adhere OK to MDF or would I need to put a layer of some sort of bonding onto the MDF first?

I also have to tile from the top of the shower unit up to the ceiling, it's only about one foot but it has been painted so again I am not sure if the grout will take to the paint.

I would really appreciate any opinions here.

Thanks very much.

P.S. This is not my shower and the existing tiles have been put onto plasterboard.
I put a supply in for an electric shower and the guy has asked me to patch up this hole.
I'm thinking if I patch up this hole I might be held responsible for the rest of the shower if it leaks.
Maybe it's best to walk away, what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
E

edie

Well the electrical supply and the shower have been installed which is was I was asked to do.

I ran the mains 15mm water pipe and the electrical supply down behind the tiles in the stud wall that you see pictured.

I drilled two holes into the tiles and pulled the cable and the mains pipe out then terminated them into the electric shower.

The two holes that I have made to fit the water pipe and the cables can be sealed easily enough with silicone and there are no leaks in the joints that I have made to the 15mm mains water pipe.

I didn't really want to touch the water supply but seeing as I was in the loft and installing the electrics I agreed too.

Can anyone see anything wrong with what I have done EG feeding the water supply down behind the tiles in the stud wall and then cutting a hole into the tiles to retrieve it?

The shower is in a house that has been bought by a landlord.
The house was owned by a keen DIY'er and this shower room is I suspect a result of his DIY antics.
The real problem is the house is now a shared house with five people living in it and that shower room will have a lot of people coming and going.
It will be used an awful lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A big hole in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB