Discuss A bit of help and advice please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Evening all, all the people with the relevant knowledge are in here so I won't post in the open forums, otherwise I might end up with conflicting information. Right, been to look at a church floor this evening, it's had some pews and the wooden boards they sat on removed. It has left a lime sub base that is on the whole quite solid with a few loose areas. The church is grade 1 listed and English Heritage have said that the new screed must be lime and no concrete products are to be used, there is no DPC currently and one can not be added. So my questions are,

What is the best way of prepping the current base to accept a new screed (approx 50mm)?
What should the screed be constructed from?
How long before this is tileable?
What adhesives/grouts should be used?
I may be able to get away with a layer of SLC on top of the lime if necessary, will this bond?

Any information that you think may help will be greatly received, I've attached a picture if it helps. Thanks in advance.

vapypudu.jpg

I

Ian

hi bri i will be honest i would be on the phone to mr phil hobson or timeless john to take a job like that on and learn from it, sorry i cant be of any more use mate:thumbsup:

Yeah, I decided last night that its a bit out of my league, I'll politely turn it down I think. Plus, some of the rules and regulations were stupid and they were all written by an architect, I'm not very good at being told what to do, lol. But seriously I can pass someone's number on if anyone wants me to, I'll be calling them back over the weekend.

I

Ian

Sent you a PM Bri, sorry I was a bit late. I think we could join forces on something like this, or other members may want to work with you on it. Not a good time to turn work down, as for out of your league, "I don't think so" I have seen your work mate. You would pick this type of work up no probs.:thumbsup: Let me know if you want to take it on. Phil.

Cheers Phil, just read your PM. As soon as I suss out the best way of sorting it out and getting a quote in, I'll give you a bell. I'd really like to do it, just need to get it straight in my head what the order of works need to be.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Yeah, I decided last night that its a bit out of my league, I'll politely turn it down I think. Plus, some of the rules and regulations were stupid and they were all written by an architect, I'm not very good at being told what to do, lol. But seriously I can pass someone's number on if anyone wants me to, I'll be calling them back over the weekend.

We all know that some architects can be idiots Bri but seriously if I were you I'd try and stick with it. It's not out of your league it's just out of your comfort zone. If Phil is willing to help out then grab it by the horns and go for it. It's a great project to have on your CV. I know that at £900 a day Phil doesn't come cheap but I'm sure he'll negotiate with you:lol:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

We all know that some architects can be idiots Bri but seriously if I were you I'd try and stick with it. It's not out of your league it's just out of your comfort zone. If Phil is willing to help out then grab it by the horns and go for it. It's a great project to have on your CV. I know that at £900 a day Phil doesn't come cheap but I'm sure he'll negotiate with you:lol:

I wish Pete, you must be getting my rates up with yours.:lol:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A bit of help and advice please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi I everyone. I have just had a wall re-plastered in my bathroom, using lime plaster. The...
Replies
Views
broughy
B
Hi all, I'm looking for a quality grout for my new bathroom (combi shower over bath) and with...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Last time I posted here I was having a first attempt at tiling the walls in a shower...
Replies
Views
Waluigi
W

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB