Discuss A couple of pics of my bathroom mosaics. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

Shower area nearly done. I didn't mix enough adhesive to finish it :(. As it's BAL mosaic (expensive) I'll be preparing some other areas so I can move onto those after I finish, to keep the waste down.

Neale's idea of interlocking the panels works a treat.

The corner trim is from CTD at £3.95 plus vat a length, in Silver (Aluminium)

cornish_crofter-albums-my-mosaics-picture2663-e-sp-a0088.jpg

cornish_crofter-albums-my-mosaics-picture2658-sp-a0085.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cornish_crofter

hope you've got plenty of grout CC, you'll need it

Grout! I knew I forgot something!

I've got 7 x 2.5kg tubs of Bal Microcolour smoke (Doug) and 2.5l of BAL GT1 (hardibacker board) all from CTD fo £60 inc VAT.

The rest of the bath panel will be removalble, I just haven't got around to making it yet. I wanted to have a go with the mosaics.

I'll try to get the shower finished first, then concentrate on the bath. WC and basin last.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

Grout! I knew I forgot something!

I've got 7 x 2.5kg tubs of Bal Microcolour smoke (Doug) and 2.5l of BAL GT1 (hardibacker board) all from CTD fo £60 inc VAT.

The rest of the bath panel will be removalble, I just haven't got around to making it yet. I wanted to have a go with the mosaics.

I'll try to get the shower finished first, then concentrate on the bath. WC and basin last.
you can mention smoke Hugo, 4 weeks today since I had one!

C

cornish_crofter

Hey Hugo, what is that what your tools are resting on? And that window sill on the left, will you tile that, too or leave it?

Like the trim. As I'll be using Bal mosaic very soon, too, and you didn't have enough, how much would you now say to estimate for?

And yes, Hugo, finished pictures will be great! :thumbsup:

Gisela

The tools are resting on 2 toolboxes.

The window sill is UPVC, so I'll leave it be. The window is a tilt and turn so there is absolutely no room for tiles. The window just clears the bath, I had to lower the bath to achieve this so the trap needed a clerance hole in the floorboard.

The BAL mosaic - I still have a third of a bag or so, the reason the tiles weren't finished on the shower area is that I didn't have enough mixed up at the time. BAL Mosaic is lovely stuff, though CTD are expensive on it even with the 30% discount. I got them to match Topps price of £24.46. I could have probably got it cheaper if I shopped around, but I will need 2 bags max.

I reckon I'll get about 70 or 80 square feet out of the bag. I may even have enough to finish the job.

These were my first ever mosaics. What I found is what you probably come up against all the time is that you don't need a thick bed at all. In fact a thin bed is best as it saves having to clean all the adhesive out of the grout lines.

C

cornish_crofter

cornish, out of intrest how do you go about putting a bath in with tiling around? is the frame just buil round the bath or is it actually supporting the bath??? Looks nice work by the way!

Ah, that would be telling ;)

This is the first time I've done anything like this, so I had to think.

The whole suite excluding the shower is actually salvaged out of another house, where the chap was wanting it all changed. I was missing at least one leg for the bath so I had to make sure it was adequately supported all round. IIRC there was at least one leg to support an end under the rim, but I didn't have this.

The bath was fitted then I tiled around it. The bath was fitted high enough to just clear the tiles, meaning that I didn't have to cut each tile that met the bath, I could just slide it underneath, so only part of the tile was visible.

To properly support the bath I built the basic framework then postioned and levelled the bath, and then used a 22 inch saw (blunt edge in contact with the bath) at 45° at each 'corner' to mark where I needed the 45° corner supports to go.

I then completed the framework managing to build in as much support for the bath around its perimiter as possible, fitted and cut the aquapanel to allow for the bath, then trial fitted the bath to eliminate interference.

Once I was happy with the position of the bath, I screwed the feet down, connected it up, checked for leaks etc, supported it in the middle, then foamed around the perimiter where I could. Because I managed to get a few inches overlap on the corners I could get good contact area and the bath is solid. I used the gun grade window fixing foam.

As said earlier I just tiled around the bath, and slid partly exposed tiles underneath the rim rather than cut them.

I was extremely grateful for the suite. It's an Ideal Standard Sottini Reprise, current design, I priced it up recently, would have set me back nearly £3k! Those taps are worth over £400.

The bath originally had a profiled bath panel, but on closer inspection it was quite badly damaged, so we binned it. We prefer the 'tissue box' it sits in, and we didn't have to find £200 to replace the bath panel!

L

Leatherface

Hi mate,
a better quality image would show it off more, looking good.
Just a pointer, not sure how most people on this site fix their mosaics ?
However, it looks as if you have started at the bottom and worked upwards ? ( looking at un-finished wall )
If so it is generally easier with mosaics to start at the top and work down, the tiles fall down into position a lot easier this way :yes:

S

surflaur

Topps in Plymouth quoted me £24.46 inc and CTD matched that. CTD aren't always cheap as chips, even with the 30% discount.

Cornish i've got a part bag of mosaic fix if you need it? I don't use CTD much, i usually find they are more pricey but apparently the more you use them the more discount you get. I pop in and say hi to Will every now and again and put my cards in though.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A couple of pics of my bathroom mosaics. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

delurks Hi, My late mother did an 'interesting' tiling job, and I now want to make it look a...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
Q
    • Winner
    • Informative
So I was recently asked to fit some 3m x 1.5m 6mm thin porcelain in a new tile showroom. Mapei &...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB