Discuss A dilema. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob01

Hi,

I posted a thread yesterday about whats better to use ply or backer boards this is sort of to do with that but not. My dad has 2 bathrooms that need floor tiling both upstairs only a 2 year old extention the floors are chipboard flooring all solid etc. All bathroom appliances have been fitted and lino for the covering of floor. but he now wants it all tiling trouble is the fitted units etc in the bathroom are going to be a nightmare to get out nevermind putting back. my main concern is preping to tile for example,

Does a ply or backer board base need to be layed over the chipboard? problem witht this would be the untis are in the way so cant get under them, or is there an alternative of laying over the chipboard with out these and tiling up to units, toilet, basin etc...

Thanks rob.

Q

Qwerty

Yes, it could easily be done and IS recommended, but not essential (I never tile onto chipboard....ever!!!) . The problem with not doing it is that if the joists arent braced (noggins spanning between them to strengthen and reduce deflection) then the tiles/ grout may crack. Oh, and chipboard swells and causes all sorts of horrible nasty problems

Hope this helps!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

Sorry Rob, didnt see you just replied again........ thoroughly clean, then prime the substrate (floor) with a primer such as primer-g or an sbr primer. The backer boards are then laid in a staggered fashion over a flexible cement based tile adhesive (this will take out any voids between layers). I always go for a 10mm solid bed trowel. Then screw backer board down at recommended intervals (usually minimum 300mm, but I go for 200mm) whilst tile adhesive still wet. Watch all levels constantly using a decent spirit level.

Never, ever use PVA..... just type PVA into the search facility on this site to see why!

so to lay straight onto the floor would be fine and go upto units etc?

I would definately overlay with 18mm ply or backerboard.......DO NOT tile straight onto chipboard floor!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kevg

ok thanks alot for the advise big help my only question now is getting around units, toilet and basin as they cant really be taken out to lay on?

I probably shouldnt be giving advice as I am not a professional tiler, but there is a great little tool I have seen in my travels to give you fairly accurate cuts when going round toilet and basin etc if you don't lift them, its called a Tile Shaping Template, £10 from B&Q.

Reply to A dilema. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
A dilema.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.