Discuss A Newbies Masterplan in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

baggiebuckster

Hi Everyone,

Discovered this forum a couple of weeks ago whilst looking around for information on changing career (at 40). Really impressed with the friendly nature of the forum and the willingness to pass on advice to members.

As a result of this I am keen to try my hand at Tiling to give myself a career option in the future. I am currently employed doing web design but my contract is continually under threat - as it stands I should be safe until the end of 2012. Therefore I have decided to do something now to improve my employment options if I lost my job.

The plan is as follows:
  • Attend a tiling/plastering course at NETT (these seem to be the best from my research)
  • Do some tiling/plastering in my own house
  • Set up a 'tiling wall' in my garage and practice
  • Maybe do jobs for friends if I can find anyone that needs any tiling doing
  • Try to gain some experience with an experienced tiler (if i can find someone willing to put up with me) on odd weekends/days so that I can see the reality of the job
If I then did lose my job at the end of next year I would hope that I have reached a level where i could get some work. I appreciate that may be difficult but I could initially combine it with doing websites.

Am I being unrealistic with this plan considering that my only tiling experience is tiling my own bathroom 10 years ago. Made an ok job of that - well put it this way - the tiles are still on the wall :lol:

Any thoughts on this plan would be most appreciated.

B

baggiebuckster

Thanks for the good wishes.

Rich - I am sure that I will need help from this forum on numerous occasions. It is good to know that there is somewhere to turn to in times of need.

I am hoping the fact that I can take 18 months to get up to speed will be beneficial to me - though fitting in the practice time whilst working full time could be difficult at times. Looks like I will be spending a lot of time in my garage (or workshop as it will now be known) :smilewinkgrin:

B

baggiebuckster

Hello and welcome. Lets see how you get on and if I can assist you I may be able to help out should a suitable job come up.

Cheers Sir Ramic - that is really good of you.

I will be looking to do the tiling course in a couple of months time (moving house in a month so plenty on my plate for the next few weeks). I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Reply to A Newbies Masterplan in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi I am thinking of training to gain city and guilds on weekends I’m just wondering is there...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
A Newbies Masterplan
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.