Discuss A question for AJAX. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi folks, this one is one for anyone, but Ajax is the one I hope can help me.

A couple of floors I am pricing are on the same new housing development. The substrate looked to me like Anhydrite, I asked the question as Alan always tells us to do. But after attending the exellent course in Durham that was hosted by Ajax. I still am not sure what this is, I have managed to get some info from the builders, I think it is probably sand and cement, but would like some advice.

The only info I have had is the subsrate is 75mm c35 fibre mix 10mm aggregate. If anyone could shed some light on this for me I would be very grateful.

Cheers, Phil.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

It sounds like a standard sand and cement to me ..with fibres of course.

Identifying Anhydrite screeds becomes easier after the first, if it looks smooth, light grey and looks as if its leveller it stands a good chance.
I have had same issues when asking for details on screed though,..... "screed is screed innit ?"

Cheers Neale, this one has me baffled, it is pale grey and very smooth, but not as flat as you would expect from Gyvlon or the like. The builder has only given me the c35 fibre mix 10mm aggregate, which I presumed would be S&C. But I need to be sure before pricing. Cheers.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Hi folks, this one is one for anyone, but Ajax is the one I hope can help me.

A couple of floors I am pricing are on the same new housing development. The substrate looked to me like Anhydrite, I asked the question as Alan always tells us to do. But after attending the exellent course in Durham that was hosted by Ajax. I still am not sure what this is, I have managed to get some info from the builders, I think it is probably sand and cement, but would like some advice.

The only info I have had is the subsrate is 75mm c35 fibre mix 10mm aggregate. If anyone could shed some light on this for me I would be very grateful.

Cheers, Phil.

That sounds like it is probably an agilia type concrete floor which is cementitious. When finished it looks remarkably like anhydrite. It actually caught me out once on a job in Leeds beleive it or not. There are often cracks in agility screeds particularly if there are no joints but not always...

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I would still press them for details, they should have an invoice or details for site. If not get screeders name and call him, thats what i have to do.

I agree. However It might not be a screeder but a ground worker depending on when it went in. Ths can be a good indicator...if it went in before the main build it is unlikely to be anhydrite. A few give away signs. 10mm aggregate, fibres (these are really fine so you have to look carefully) presence of a waxy curing agent on the surface, method of installation (normally anhydrite goes through a trailer pump where concrete us normally through a concrete pump or by direct discharge). Depth is obviously not a reliable indicator nor is colour. Presence of steel reinforcement is a good indicator as well...

Chemical tests are possible but they are a health and safety issue as they involve the use of acids.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A question for AJAX. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

C
Hi
Hi everyone im a beginner to tiling past me course so i signed up here to get more info about...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
K
Hi- I have a kitchen floor where the travertine has developed lots of holes. I need some one...
Replies
Views
L
Hello Everyone, My name is Liam I am 25 years old and live in Oxford. I am currently a plumbing...
Replies
Views
I
P
Hi my names Phil iv just moved to London from northern Ireland and im looking to work alongside...
Replies
Views
ifindoubtgrout
I
P
I got a question, when does someone cross the border between being a bloody fantastic...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB