UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss a technical question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

leonard

Hi dear members I am recently new to tilers forum and have not had any technical issues to ask until now, i have recently plastered a bath room for a customer and he wants the 2 main long walls tiling 11ft long x 8ft 4inches high, he has purchased a natural slate tile that is approx 10mm thick, the front of the tiles has been machined and polished, the thickness varies in differant places on each tile as they have not been callibrated, tiles are 600mmx300mm, once the fronts have been sealed and the new plaster treated with a good quality pva, what addhesive is required to put them on the walls, i have spoken to 2 local tile show rooms and they have gave 2 differant answers, i would greatly appreciate help in a proffessional opinion from fellow tiles forum members. thanks Leonard

D

diamondtiling

Welcome to the forum........:thumbsup:

First off forget pva, it has no place in any tiling situation, instead use an acrylic bond.
You need to check your weight issues with those tiles and you would have been better not plastering the walls. Bagged adhesive is your only option and it should be a good quality one part flexible, Mapei cater for all your needs, have you a Tilegiant near to you?
You need to start with the thickest tiles and work down to the thin ones.
Also have you considered tanking the walls in the bathroom because you need to if they are going to have constant water on them from a shower.

What are the two tile shops advising you to do?

D

Dave Ramsden

Morning Leonard,

First of all, :welcome: to the tilers forums. Your sure to find every answer you need right here!

As the tile chosen for the job is so thick and heavy you really need to consider screwing hardi-backer board across the area before tiling as skimmed plaster can only hold a load of 20kg per sq/m.

PVA is not a suitable primer as it only forms a skin over the substrate to which the adhesive you use wont adhere properly.

You need to be using some sort of flexible adhesive (preferably a similar shade colour as your chosen grout). I would recommend a flexi slow set rather than flexi rapi-set if your not skilled with working with this type of material.

Hope this helps.

L

leonard

thanks to all for your expert advice, i had quoted a great price for a customer i had done other property maintenance for, i have just put a new kitchen in for him including taking out stud walls/plastering etc. the floor and walls above the work tops have to be tiled, as the quote was based on the basis of £xx sq mtr he has decided to have pure white porcelain tiles on the floor 600x300mmx10mm thk, going on to concrete. the walls have grown arms and legs and he has decided to have mosaic which was'nt priced for, can some of you fellow tilers forum members give me an honest un-biased reply as to what this customer could or should be paying per sq mtr for the floor and for the mosaic work per sq mtr, the mosaic work has approx 9 sockets to work around.a big thanks to you all leonard.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

leonard

Hi a big thanks for your advice, 600x300 pure white porcelain tiles, how much per mtr to fit to a concrete floor in a kitchen, also customer after being quoted now decides tiles above work top that has approx 9 sockets is going to be mosaic work which is'nt what i have quoted for what is a fair price per mtr for the guy in 1inch marble mosaic as he feels i should stick to price for the origional quote but when goal posts get moved i think all members will agree this is'nt fair or acceptable. your views, a big thanks leonard

the quote was based generic at £xx per sg mtr for eg if people step out of the perameters of ceramic and suddenly say they want porcelain, mosaic or even glass tiles this is'nt on.

Surely it's down to you, the fixer to quote on each job on it's own merits, as for stepping out of the 'permateres' of ceramic :oops: is that all you do normally :oops:

Sorry to be blunt.

Reply to a technical question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.