UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss a technical question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

leonard

hi dave thanks for the reply, i'v been so busy only had two days off since jan 2nd, i'v struggled a bit getting my way around on tilers forum, thurs evening is my best time to visit it. i'v been talking to ace tiler or should i say top man :thumbsup:, i can't remember how to put a thread on, had a class experience the other day, told acetiler about it, i'v had the odd job lately where customers have tried to pressure me to put wall tiles on with no regards to weight factors, customer is working in wales, tiles bought from an outlet in middlesbrough that also sells baths etc. i gave them a ring and asked what the weight was per sq mtr, the guy that answered the phone replied and said who are you like er mate, i'v been here 7 yrs and no ones asked me that so i said do u have a tech dept and he said no we don't, i felt as if he had been working in a fruit & veg shop & they dragged him in & put him behind the counter, he said customer can't exchange or have refund which was £700 he said put em on e-bay & sell em then he put the phone down. :yikes: leonard

L

leonard

hi alan i think you may of miss- read my tech question, the people showed me the tiles to which i had quoted the price when i turned up they had took the ceramics back and replaced them with massive tiles which was a mega weight issue hence my tech question then they wanted me to not adjust the price, which they did in the end, so alls well that ends well, i don't just do ceramics, i do a lot of aspects including extensions, kitchens & on & on, i'v recently set a web site up that has been good for work, only had 2 days off since jan 2nd, my wife says i better have a good solicitor as she never see's me. my recent web site homestosuityou.co.uk if you use the top search bar it costs me £5 per month. i'v heard you live in stockton i'm from stockton but moved to a new build 18 months ago in thornaby after living in acklam for years. thanks for the reply leonard. :smilewinkgrin:

K

kevin crichton

Hi dear members I am recently new to tilers forum and have not had any technical issues to ask until now, i have recently plastered a bath room for a customer and he wants the 2 main long walls tiling 11ft long x 8ft 4inches high, he has purchased a natural slate tile that is approx 10mm thick, the front of the tiles has been machined and polished, the thickness varies in differant places on each tile as they have not been callibrated, tiles are 600mmx300mm, once the fronts have been sealed and the new plaster treated with a good quality pva, what addhesive is required to put them on the walls, i have spoken to 2 local tile show rooms and they have gave 2 differant answers, i would greatly appreciate help in a proffessional opinion from fellow tiles forum members. thanks Leonard
hello leonard my name is kevin,this is my first on tilers forum.my advice to you would be to use webers spf flexible rapid set.the stuff is brilliant and sets in about 30 mins

L

leonard

Nice website Leonard :thumbsup:
:8:hi thanks for the reply, heres a question i'm sure you will have experienced, i'v to grout slate tiles, they are quite large, they also have a riven surface appearence and are to be grouted in dark grey grout, the grout reside is hard to get rid of, the tiles have been well sealed but the grey cloudy residue comes back, what do you suggest for a quick solution. leonard

D

Daz

:8:hi thanks for the reply, heres a question i'm sure you will have experienced, i'v to grout slate tiles, they are quite large, they also have a riven surface appearence and are to be grouted in dark grey grout, the grout reside is hard to get rid of, the tiles have been well sealed but the grey cloudy residue comes back, what do you suggest for a quick solution. leonard

Do you mean "well sealed" prior to grouting or after? If prior, were the tiles left to thoroughly dry before sealer application? If after, were the tiles completely clean and dry before sealer application?

Have you got any pics to show the issue, please?

L

leonard

Hi thanks for the reply. The slate tiles were well sealed and kept totally dry, the cloudyness was surface residue of grout dark gray, i placed a technical question as i was so frustrated that day, if they had been a glazed surface they wipe off no problem even on a black tile, i called in to tile giant and they gave me a suitable tile cleaner and it works well and saves so much time, thanks for the reply. I don't have any pictures but will take some when the job is finished. Thanks leonard.

L

leonard

Hi to all tilers via tilers forum, a customer wants his conservatory floor tiling with a cheap ceramic tile 10x8 inches, it has not been tiled previously but has had 2-3 coats of concrete sealer do you recommend a primer before applying adhesive, it is quite level apart from 1 corner which a self leveling compound will deal with, do you apply the compound to level as it is or is it a must to apply sbr for eg before level compoud. leonard

L

leonard

PVA do you mean
Hi thanks for the reply, no pva has been involved, the concrete sealer/hardener, customer used is like water, clear/no odour, it is a sealer & hardener b & q own brand, so you have a dust free surface after application. i have seen trades men use a trough and liberaly apply it using a sweeping brush to douse & cover area quickly with 2-3 coats, this info was given to customer by the people that installed the conservatory approx 1 year ago. leonard

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to a technical question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.