UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss A Word of warning... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

X

xactive

Had to buy some primer for a sand cement rendered wall prior to tiling, usually I buy things like these off the internet... do my research, try and get the best price etc. etc. but I was in a hurry.

I kind of got the impression that BAL products were half decent and I could purchase these products from my local topps tiles, so off I pop and wait in turn at the counter, told the mild mannered assistant what I required and he promptly produces a small container of "BAL SBR". Having read the reverse I questioned whether this was correct for what I required as it seemed like (amongst other things) primarily an admixture.
The aforementioned assistant re-assured me it was then told me the price... £14.99 :yikes:, as I needed this in a hurry I felt I had no choice so said I'll take it.

Whilst waiting for my receipt I noticed a small bottle of "BAL Primer" and asked if I could take a look, reluctantly he handed one over, I promptly asked why this wouldn't suffice, he said it wasn't as good as the SBR and it wasn't suitable for dusty walls even though it says on the bloody front of it "Stabilises dusty tiling substrates". I asked the assistant to humour me and tell me how much it was to which his reply was "err umm arrr about £11.00", I replied "I'll umm err arr take that instead of the one he suggested" and when he gave me the receipt it was £9.99:furious3::furious3::furious3:

I'm sure there is a moral to this story and it re-affirms my hatred of these big shed type places, their rubbish advice, and rip off mentality.

Vent over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

I'm sure there is a moral to this story and it re-affirms my hatred of these big shed type places, their rubbish advice, and rip off mentality.

Vent over.

Dont tar them all with the same brush........ some are much worse than others. I personally share your thoughts with regards to Topps, however I cannot praise Tile Giant highly enough. I know many tilers who buy alot from Topps, it really does depend on the store you visit and the staff member who serves you on the day. I have found the prices at Tile Giant far superior for trade (especially if you have a premier trade account- via this forum) compared to Topps

Rely on this forum for the advice in the future though :thumbsup:

have to admit it can depend on who serves you at these shops.
theres a lad in my local topps that i try to get to serve me or my customers as one of the others is a nightmare.
got order amounts wrong, my plumber was ordering a lot of tiles and he got all the measurements mixed up,once sorted and price changed (i have a friend in another topps but miles away) after getting a £500 difference between shops he then managed to take over £8000 from my plumbers account instead of the £2500+ which was the actual cost.
They have no tiling knowledge and work on for commission so if they sell you a more expensive product then they'll earn a little bit more.
The prices are stupid in there as i can get ardex and mapei grouts cheaper than the bal at topps trade prices just down the road from topps.

T

tfs

have a nightmare with them every time I go in.

They always try to charge me retail, they do eventualy give me trade but the reciept always has another tilers name on it.

They say Im not in enough to get full trade automatically but how the hell can they say this based on transaction history when they put most of my sales through other accounts. Last week I went in and they put it through on a tiler account who I know. The worst thing is that this guy has been away from the tiling game for at least a year now. Im in every other month an have put some decent sales there way.

D

doug boardley

have a nightmare with them every time I go in.

They always try to charge me retail, they do eventualy give me trade but the reciept always has another tilers name on it.

They say Im not in enough to get full trade automatically but how the hell can they say this based on transaction history when they put most of my sales through other accounts. Last week I went in and they put it through on a tiler account who I know. The worst thing is that this guy has been away from the tiling game for at least a year now. Im in every other month an have put some decent sales there way.
why not ditch them and go to an independent?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A Word of warning... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views
G
Hi, I am after some honest advice regarding a job I done a few weeks ago for which I haven't...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
G
Hi guys, sorry for long post, just after a bit of advice regarding my first proper complaint...
Replies
Views
T
am tiling a en suite tomorrow and the walls painted, tried scraping as I usually take it back to...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
A Word of warning...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.