Guest viewing is limited

Discuss A Year at College in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

Probably for any guys who do plastering so bear with,

Had a mate who popped round with his son to ask some advise about skimming a ceiling which his son had done and was asking for advice, I suggested he was putting the plaster on to soon and the pva was mixing with it and causing him problems, ok I'll pop round and have a look.

Could'nt believe what I saw, he had put the first coat of finish on the previous day let it go off, then expected to put his second on the following day.

The wall to ceiling lines were bulked with finish, the ceiling roses were covered with finish and had not been loosened and it was all over the place, the point is he is going to start his second year at college and what has he learned in his first year.
He just did'nt have a clue, so whats happening with the college training.

I've met guys who have done a short course and they are far better.

Did say I'd pop round when he starts the ceiling again just to give some advise and probably get my hands dusty.:svengo:

W

White Room

Has he done any practical..? some don't in the first year and it is mainly core subjects like english/maths and then back ground stuff on H&S etc.. with the odd bit theory thrown in..

I did ask and he said they have a bay to work on to practice the skimming and other works......

They covered rendering, gypsum plaster float and set and skimming ceiling, I also asked what he was covering this year, he did'nt have a clue.

J

jamie B

sad story IMO..I remember doing day release during the last year of my apprenticeship (I was at the crossover between papers and C&G ..I got papers but was guienee pig for the firms college program!) and to be brutally honest I learnt sweet FA at college..I'm sure the huge chunk of H&S they must cover now eats into practical work, making it even worse!
I've said it before and I'll say it again..there's no such thing as a shortcut to experience unfortunately!..not really that kids fault..just not being shown how to do things properly..that's where WORKING everyday with people who have mastered their trade pays dividends..I mean ..who ever learnt anything at school!?!!:lol:

Reply to A Year at College in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Hello, I am a homeowner living in the Metro Vancouver area in British Columbia. I am currently...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
A Year at College
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.