Guest viewing is limited

Discuss About to start a wetroom... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

shorn

Hi,

Been a long time lurker on here, getting some info absorbed before I start a bathroom refurb for my in-laws. They have a ground floor (concrete) floor and I intend on ripping it all out and replacing the bath with a wet-room style shower area. After reading a lot, I feel the best former for my needs will be the pro4mer tray (1135x770 is about perfect.)
I then intend to tank the shower walls, (one will be a new false wall of aqua board) and the other an internal existing wall.

Not sure on what tiles i'm going for yet, but I want to use mosaics for the shower floor, as I would feel more confident fitting these.

Will try and put up a quick sketch of layout to show what i'm planning.

Also, I tried ordering from Wetdecs this morning, but have had no correspondence from them since ordering. Has anyone ordered from the site at all? Also tried calling, emailing and PM'ing to no avail! Can anyone recommend other places to purchase formers/tanking from in case they don't come through? Need to start on Friday so would ideally like the parts by then.

Thanks.

W

wetdec

Hi,

Been a long time lurker on here, getting some info absorbed before I start a bathroom refurb for my in-laws. They have a ground floor (concrete) floor and I intend on ripping it all out and replacing the bath with a wet-room style shower area. After reading a lot, I feel the best former for my needs will be the pro4mer tray (1135x770 is about perfect.)
I then intend to tank the shower walls, (one will be a new false wall of aqua board) and the other an internal existing wall.

Not sure on what tiles i'm going for yet, but I want to use mosaics for the shower floor, as I would feel more confident fitting these.

Will try and put up a quick sketch of layout to show what i'm planning.

Also, I tried ordering from Wetdecs this morning, but have had no correspondence from them since ordering. Has anyone ordered from the site at all? Also tried calling, emailing and PM'ing to no avail! Can anyone recommend other places to purchase formers/tanking from in case they don't come through? Need to start on Friday so would ideally like the parts by then.

Thanks.

I am here always lurkin............

You never pushed the confirm button Shorn so it was left open and neither of us got the paper work. Sorted it for you now.....:thumbsup:

Deliver is within 4 days usually faster unless there is a stock glitch or the ever so reliable carriers loose it.

The system is those who paypal goes out asap..............

Those who bank transfer goes out once the buyer has confirmed his address....... Just had one customer wait ages because he didnt read his email. You confirming your address in reply to our request acts as the purchase order......................

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shorn

Ok, got the tanking today, hopefully former will be here by Friday when I'm all good to go! Now I am a DIYer and therefore have a few questions. Firstly it's with regards to the floor. The former is the pro4mer tray and will be set into the concrete floor. Now at the moment, one third of the concrete floor sits 20mm lower than the rest, the former will be sitting into part of this lower section, but I will need to fill in the other part to bring the floor level. What's going to be the best way about this? I've never screed a floor before, and I'm not entirely sure of the best way about it. My plan is to lay my waste pipe, as this will have to run under the floor in the current screed, I can then set the former and screed the rest of the floor level. What's going to be the best mix for the screed? And what do people think the likely drying time will be before I can tank over it ( and then tile)?

Secondly, I am going to be tanking the shower area with the dura-wp tanking kit, what would be the recommended adhesive? Both for this and the tiles?

Thirdly! Say I tank and tile the entire shower area, all good, but I need to install a shower seat within the shower area, and this will need to be drilled back into the wall, surely this will provide an inlet for water to get in? What's the best way to put fixings into a tanked and tiled wall to retain it's seal?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shorn

Well many thanks to wetdecs, everything has arrived and all is set to go... I had a couple of questions that I asked him but thought I might as well put them up here as well....

1. what adhesive do you recommend to apply the dura-wp? Part of it will be applied to new aqua panel, and part to a plaster wall.

2. Is there a best method to attach the trap to the waste pipe, bearing in mind the trap has to be set in above the former?

Many thanks!

D

diamondtiling

I dont follow you, the trap has to be in two pieces at least. You fit the trap to the underside of the tray and it will have another piece that connects from the top of the tray with a seal between them. This is adjustable to allow for your tiles.

wetdecs wetroom suppliers home - Drainage :: Purus wetroom drainage :: Promax shallow gulley

wetdecs wetroom suppliers home - Wet room shower trays :: Concrete Floor Formers :: Pro4mer wet room concrete floor former

Once your pipework is all in place and connected position the tray and fit the securing part of the trap.

:thumbsup:

S

shorn

Unfortunately it is not in two pieces. I do have a seperate grill to be able to tile in, but the trap has to be inserted into the former from above (there are not two pieces that seal together.) Not that it matters as its done now! :smilewinkgrin:
We ended up cutting length of waste to size, solvent fitting it to the trap, fed this right through the former and then kind of eased it down as we laid the former down. Not too hard actually, however it would have been harder had we not had the exposed channel for the waste. I'll post some pics soon to demonstrate.
Day one is complete now, bathroom was completely ripped out, area for former and waste was dug out, former set in place, rest of the floor was screed. Good start it seems. lets hope the rest goes well! :thumbsup:

Reply to About to start a wetroom... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
About to start a wetroom...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.