Discuss Adequate Sub floor Buildup in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rckdev

Hi all,

New to this Forum. Got 10 years experience of building, do quite a few bathrooms and would like to know others peoples opinions on subfloors for tiling.

My question is regarding sub floor buildup. If a wooden joisted floor has little deflection and is covered with solid timber boards, I will usually put plenty of screws through boards into joists, cover over with ply screwed in grid formation into boards (as little as 4mm thick), glue ditra over the ply and then tile with flexi adhesive.

In a perfect world, I'd love to take up the entire floor back to joists and put down 18mm ply, counter board it with 6mm ply, glue ditra mat and then tile but obviously that's overkill and no-one will pay the overkill price. What do everyone else consider a reasonable joisted subfloor buildup for compromise between piece of mind and cost?

Thanks in advance

Ross

R

rckdev

Thanks for the reply, the reason I go for the 4mm and 6mm and sound existing floors is purely to give the ditra a uniform surface to adhere to. Being a carpenter to trade, it was my thinking that the plywood was to prohibit deflection and increase strength. If the floor does not easily give way under foot then why replace a strong floor with one that is only similarly stong? Is it the expansion difference between wpb and solid wood and if so, so does the ditra and flexi adhesive not allow the tile and subfloor to move independently?

Any further info much appreciated as I like to do things because I understand why and not just to blindly follow.

D

Daz

who said ditra mat solved bounce?? cause it wasn't me!

Nobody said that, I was just ensuring that anyone reading the thread doesn't get the wrong impression.
I rarely use decoupling membranes, it is only for UFH and natural stone that I would specify.

For reference, 6mm cement boards will be much more stable than 6mm ply on a deflection free floor. There is a possibility that 4 & 6mm ply will quite easily delaminate so it is not recommended.

Daz

R

rckdev

Never considered delamination as a factor, thanks for your opinion, I have a floor to tile next week, the joists are rock solid 10 x 2's spanning 1900mm built into brick, I will defo consider trying the cement board if the decoupler isnt really required as even though it's more expensive than ply, without the ditra, the prep should be cheaper. On a final note, the shower tray I've picked has 3 upstands, 2 of which will be chased into solid walls, the third will be a new partition, was thinking of building the partion 12mm back from the tray, cladding with m/r plasterboard and then using the 6mm cement board down to the upstand, does this sound like an ok idea to you guys?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Adequate Sub floor Buildup in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Adequate Sub floor Buildup
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.