Discuss Adhesive for Terracotta floor tiles - advice please in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

H

harrietp

Hi. I have an old (approx 300yrs) house with a part concrete, part old lime "crete" floor (ie concrete in the bits where the old lime had presumably broken away) in the sitting room. No DPC. It was sopping wet when we removed the carpet (with thick rubber underlay and hardboard under that). Room has been gutted and now has new lime render/plaster on walls - I can almost feel it breathing a sigh of relief! Floor is now dry, but rather than put carpet down again, I've bought new, machine made, terracotta floor tiles and LTP mattstone for sealing them (breathable). Having researched use of of lime mortar as adhesive and grout, which means soaking the tiles first, I'm not sure I can realistically go for 3 months waiting for it all to dry out thoroughly before being able to seal/protect, and therefore not being able to use the room, not least of all because it cuts off the kitchen from the rest of the house (so we'd have to spend all winter going round the outside) and my log burner is in the sitting room, and we'd freeze without it!
Your considered and experienced advice on suitable (pref breathable) alternatives for adhesive and grout would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

H

harrietp

Flooding, condensation, old house "fixed" with gypsum plaster and concrete render, thick rubber underlay preventing natural evaporation. (Previous owners/builders should be shot - there was rising damp to the roof at one end of the house as a result of all these impervious materials being used!) This has now been sorted, ie gutted and lime render and lime plaster applied, so the house can breathe. Also the drainage has been improved externally, so fingers crossed that the next deluge remains outdoors. The difference internally is tangible. I'm not going to have a dpm put in - it should all just do what it quite happily did in the old days before impermeable materials started to be used, ie breathe.....
Lime mortar will breathe, but I was just wondering if there was anything out there that will do the same job without having to soak all the tiles first.

D

dagger

i would also like to point out that the tiles you have purchased will act like a sponge and suck moisture from the floor, being the most pourous tiles known to man....Terracotta.

without installing a DPM, or studding the floors and installing "air bricks"
i cant see how your house will "breathe", in the old days houses were colder at a constant, today we pump up the heating.

the flagstones was a good idea.

R

robnisbet

without installing a DPM, or studding the floors and installing "air bricks"
i cant see how your house will "breathe", in the old days houses were colder at a constant, today we pump up the heating.

dagger, you obviously have NO IDEA how breathability works. Suggesting DPM / concrete which will drive water up the walls and CAUSE damp problems in an old house is just dumb.
Suggest you have a look at how old buildings work before you suggest things like this.
The naturally breathable flagstones/teracotta tiles will allow moisture evaporation whcih is what is required. This will happen in a cold or hot house.
Sorry Harriet I have no idea what tile adhesive you could use, just had to ranty at ridiculous comments ...:)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Adhesive for Terracotta floor tiles - advice please in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB