Discuss Advice about preparation for a patio in 60x60 porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

LisaM

Hi, can anyone give my builder some advice about the preparation for a patio area to take 60x60 porcelain tiles please? Area approx 4mx6m.

I have read the thread on adhesive but would appreciate a clarification on that also if anyone could?

He would like to know the best foundation to create, what degree of drainage he must make and also does he need to seal anything prior to putting on the tiles? What tolerance can the tiles take?

He's really concerned about doing this so any advice would be very welcome and greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Lisa

G

GazTech

Welcome to the forums Lisa,The base should be concrete,with only slight fall to gulley,a rapid setting flexible adhesive and flexible grouts...to a stick to the porcelain, and withstand cold and heat.......an impregnator sealer should also be applied to the porcelain.....Gaz
BAL Prime APD
prime_apd.jpg
A modified acrylic polymer dispersion for use as a primer for a variety of backgrounds/bases prior to fixing ceramic tiles, mosaics and natural stone and prior to the application of levelling compound and the BAL WP1 TANKING SYSTEM. BAL PRIME APD isolates products containing calcium sulphate such as gypsum plaster and anhydrite screeds from cement-based adhesives, thus minimising the risk of reaction between the two materials.

Also suitable for use on cement:sand rendering, blockwork, plasterboard, cement:sand screeds and timber. It also provides surface strength to friable surfaces and reduces the porosity of porous backgrounds/bases, thus preventing the formation of air bubbles and prolonging the flow time with levelling compounds and extending the open time of tile adhesives. The primer is blue in colour to help ensure that a complete and even coating is obtained.

BAL Rapidset Flexible
rapidset_flexible.jpg
A flexible, rapid-setting, non-slip, water-resistant and frost-resistant wall and floor tile adhesive especially suitable for fixing tiles, including fully vitrified and porcelain tiles to low porosity backgrounds and bases. Suitable for use on concrete/brick/block walling, cement:sand rendering, plaster, plasterboard, cement sheets, tile backer boards, concrete bases, cement:sand screeds, plywood overlay, ceramic/quarry tile/terrazzo/hard natural stone, vinyl tiles/sheet, mastic asphalt. BAL Rapidset Flexible white is especially ideal for fixing natural stone, slate, marble (including translucent marble) and travertine. Conforms to BS EN 12004, Type C, Class 2FT.
BAL Superflex Wide Joint Grout
superflex_wide.jpg
A highly flexible, water and frost-resistant cement-based powder grout with built-in admixture specially designed for use in areas where increased flexibility and enhanced durability are required. Suitable for grouting tiles with joint widths up to 20mm. Suitable for interior and exterior locations on both wall and floor tiling. Ideal for grouting limited movement areas such as timber floors or heated screeds. Suitable for grouting in swimming pools. Conforms to BS EN 13888, Type C, Class G2.
FILA POLISHED PORCELAIN IMPREG SEALER http://www.**********.co.uk/productimages/fullimages/Porcelain.jpg

D

DHTiling

Don't forget to let the patio base cure before commencing tiling...this is usually about 30+ days....plus tell him not to tile if the temperature is below 5dg,s.... tile adhesives must not be used at this temp or below.....
But you can use ditra mat... http://www.schluter.co.uk/produkt.aspx?doc=6-1-ditra.xml&pg=funktion
If you want to tile the patio as soon as the concrete is dry enough to walk on...just another option...

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice about preparation for a patio in 60x60 porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Advice about preparation for a patio in 60x60 porcelain tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.