Discuss Advice for bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

N

NeilB

Hello, I am planning an new bathroom in our house and would appreciate some advice on construction of the floor.

The room measures approx 2.5 x 2.5m and currently has the original 1920's floorboards. These are fitted on good solid 7 x 2.5" joists at 15" centres.
I would like to fit some 600 x 300 x 10mm marble tiles, so will need to replace the floor with something more stable.

The options I am currently considering are:

1. Remove old boards and replace with 25mm WBP ply.
2. Remove old boards and replace with 18mm WBP ply, then overlay with 6mm aquapanel. I guess this may be more thermally stable but may flex more?

Also I was planning on using BAL Rapidset flexible or BAL natural stone adhesive, but wondered if a 2 part would be better.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Neil

J

Jeff the tiler

Agree lift boards, 18mm ply, either cement or hardi backer board glued and screw every 150mm on top making sure your joins overlap that of the ply. Ditra or Durbase decoupling membrane and you are set to tile. Did not see the UFH detail so have not commented on it.

BAl is good product though quite expensive. May be worth checking in with a local tile company who may also be able to assist.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice for bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB