Discuss advice for setting out? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Hi and welcome. As far as setting out is concerned id centre the window both horizontal and vertically. If the window is centre of the wall your intending to tile then that's perfect.
The basin waste and soil waste is secondary considerations in my opinion. They will both be partly concealed by the pottery. The window will be first year "feature" point by the sounds of it.
What are the walks condition and construction? Wit tiles are you planning on fixing?

C

casioman

Hi thanks for getting back, the wall is painted plasterboard. cloakroom project 17th march.jpg Here is a photo of the wall I want to tile half way up the window and keep window sill. what considerations do I need to make and where do I want finish tile level in relation to winow base?

casioman

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I can't view the picture mate because Im on my mobile.
But ill try to answer on what you've written.
A good thing for you to do is to make up a layout stick. Use a bit of 2x1 place a tile on the end and mark where it finishes. Add a spacer and place another tile and mark where it falls. Continue so you have a around 4' of tiling marked out. You can then use this and a level to see where your tiling will come to when placed against the wall. Take a bit of time to see where the cuts would fall for the best layout. You can use the reverse face to do your width layout if your tiles differ in orientation. Perhaps pick where you want you tiles to finish and work down, marking the wall to see where your bottom cuts would fall if need be.
Can't really advise on the seal without seeing the picture. But you have a few options. If its prominent from the wall you could remove, tile and replace after. Could but it back flush, tile and over board with uPVC. Or the less favored option is but your tiles around it.

Hope this helps. When im home later ill have a look at your picture.

C

casioman

I would like a little advise on setting out and squaring the window. From the photo you can see the waste pipes for wc and sink are centered around the window, ( ignore socket it has been safely removed ) which will take presidence when setting out . I will be using 400x250 ceramic tiles and a 3tile travatine mosaic as a border to finish half way up the window. I want to keep the window sill. I will be using a piece of plastic trim between sill and mosaics and but jointing the mosiacs at the top . My questions are do I cut sill to accomodate tile or cut tile to accomodate sill ? and in which order do I tile ? Do i tile from first full tile at bottom to level on sill, then square window , tile up sides of window . or tack up trim to squared measurement of window and then tile to this , followed by tiles in reveal?

any advise appreciated.

C

casioman

1st job progress

Hi Guys, I wanted to say I have respect for tilers out there, having just come back from my first project tiling weekend. I had to work around, out of square window reveals bowed walls and waste pipes " all in a days work I hear you say " . If I hadn't used the forum and done my homework I would have definitely have come
un-stuck. Here are a couple of shots of the job so far. P1030231.jpg P1030245.jpg P1030270.jpg P1030271.jpg

cheers Casioman.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to advice for setting out? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am looking for some advice on how to set out my tiles. I think I have a solution but...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Dear Tilers, my husband has done a lot of tiling, but would really like your advice please. He...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post so here goes, advice needed. It was decided that I should renovate...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB