Discuss Advice needed! Different walls need tiling, what to use etc etc!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gilbz

As per titile!
I'm about to start a whole bathroom project which is 2.6x2.3m and 2.5m high.

On one of the 2.3 walls will be a 1200x900 wetroom with a 1200 glass screen.
I've got a Marmox shower former, 5l tanking kit.
My problem is this.
The walls are different in material.
The 900 wall is Breezeblock which is 3 inch thick (other side of wall is dot dab 12.5mm plasterboard
The 1200 wall is part Breezeblock and part of the old house which is concrete 2ft square toungue & groove blocks! Which are painted in silk or gloss paint. This is also around 3 inch thick.

What would you do to make sure these walls are waterproof?
I bought the tanking kit thinking it would waterproof the walls but after reading here it may be advisable to Aquaboard the lot?
Is the Aquaboard screwed to the concrete walls?

The rest of the walls are basically plastered (cement render/ finish plaster) which I imagine will be loose when I get the old tiles off.
The Tiles I'm going to be using are Porcelain 600x300mm x 10mm and will be tiling to the ceiling.
If all the plaster comes off to bare concrete blocks would it be ok to dot dab Plasterboard on the walls, will the Plasterboard hold the weight of the tiles?

Sorry for all the questions, I've looked on the forums until 5am this morning going to bed thinking jeez my head is spinning with suggestions!

One last thing, I'm handy with the plastering trowel as I've plastered/ skimmed a few houses. But never a bathroom!

Any help greatly appeciated!:thumbsup:

G

Gilbz

Thanks!
The main area for the 'wet' part of the room will get tanked so no problem there.

Just been looking at Hardiebacker boards, I'm guessing due to the weight of the tiles I will have to board the whole room?

This is getting expensive! But looks cheaper than Aquapaneling the whole toom.

Can the Hardiebacker boards be attached like the person said in the 2nd post? Dot & Dab and then screwed onto the walls?
Can't really batten the room as space is at it's minimum as it is!

G

Gilbz

While I'm asking the questions!
The tiles I'm using are 600x300 x 10mm thick. One shop says they are porcelain the other says they are ceramic, does it matter what adhesive I use? Are porcelain & ceramic the same?
Also can you suggest an adhesive for this size tile keeping in mind they will be used in a shower/ part wet room. Planning on using Hardiebacker now for ALL walls as I think the old tiles will take off the old plaster!

P

paul78

While I'm asking the questions!
The tiles I'm using are 600x300 x 10mm thick. One shop says they are porcelain the other says they are ceramic, does it matter what adhesive I use? Are porcelain & ceramic the same?
Also can you suggest an adhesive for this size tile keeping in mind they will be used in a shower/ part wet room. Planning on using Hardiebacker now for ALL walls as I think the old tiles will take off the old plaster!

put water on the back of tile it it absorbs then its ceramic.

use a quality powder adhesive NOT TUBBED for the weight ratios, even if tubbed says for porcelain dont use it and dont whatever you do use PVA!!

check if the tiles need sealing also and do it before grouting if they need sealing.

Reply to Advice needed! Different walls need tiling, what to use etc etc!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi, so I’m relatively new to tiling. I’ve got a job where the walls aren’t 100% flat but not the...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hello, i hope someone can give me some advice please. I’m planning on tiling our bathroom walls...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Advice needed! Different walls need tiling, what to use etc etc!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.