UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice Needed for Amateur in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Z

Zukiman

Hi

I was after some advice. I'm planning to tile my bathroom. This will be the 4th time I've tiled a room but I've always tiled on walls that have been skimmed with multifinish.

The walls are in a bit of a state but largely plastered and finished, some are 1980's cement block and others with the original blocks used in 1910. One wall is brick.

The plasterer said he can either make good and finish with a bonding coat or hack off existing bond and give a couple of coats of multi finish if we were thinking of having some wall exposed. We've decided to tile to the ceiling.

I hoped someone might suggest wheter it is a good idea to tile on a bonding coat or should I go for the multi finish. Difference is £190 versus £320 but I don't mind if it is needed. Also should I use and additive to the adhesive (not decided what to use but usually use pre-mixed Bal Blue Star) as the bonding is more porus. I'd coat the wall with Bal Bond SBR Primer first

The tiles are 25/40 ceramic

Thanks for your comments.

S

Stef

Hi, You cant tile direct onto a bonding coat sorry.

Why not dry line your walls with either plasterboard or tile backer board? if you have the space.

Tubbed adhesive can only go to a max tile size of 300x300mm.

Try an SPF, single part flexi (Bal Purple Bag) or another make, Mapei, Weber, Ardex etc,

Tank the walls that are going to get the most moisture, round bath, in shower.

Go into the search bar at the top right of page & skim through a few relevant threads, you will get loads more advice on here once more members go online.

Good luck,

Beat me to it Neale. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Thanks for the quick resonses. I was worried about tiling on to bonding.

I'm going to hack off and use the back board. My concern was the bath as it was 5'6'' and a few cms in the wall plaster. I've ordered a 1650 bath and think there will be enough room to hack off and board.

Many thanks guys! :smilewinkgrin:

Could always fit the bath before you board the walls and take the board down to the bath. Bare in mind the lip of the baths thickness and consider you have to take your board thickness, dab, adhesive and tiles all into account. Make sure you have good clearance behind the tap aswell.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice Needed for Amateur in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.