Discuss Advice Needed On Using Mosaic And Large Format Wall Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DaveM

I'm going to be tiling this week in my bathroom, it's been bashed off back to the brick and plasterboarded and tanked and the walls are pretty much square and plumb, but there's a small amount of concaveness to one of the walls, it's only a few mm, but someone mentioned to me that I may struggle with large format tiles (250x500), so did a bit of reading and people seem to recommend a 10mm notch trowel for this? I've also got some mosaic tiles to make a border round the room, but again, I did some reading and it seems that I need a much smaller notch trowel for these? How would I get around the difference in height? The mosaics are 6mm and the tiles are 7mm.

Thanks for any help :)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
I would just straighten the wall out with some rapid set before tiling. When you do the tiling fix all the large format field tiles and what I do is cut chocks of wood to width of mosaic border and this allows you to continue tiling above the border. Here's a pic of the last one I did so you get the idea:

20150713_183540.jpg

20150717_163214.jpg

Once all the field tiles are done you can get cracking with your mosaics. I tend to use the dog tooth method to bed the mosaics flush with field tiles. In cases like the above you can cut your own 'comb' out of an old credit card, window packer or even an off cut of tile.

So something like this:

20160717_172528.jpg

So if your mosaics are 7mm thick then cut your comb at about 5mm. Now you can just trowel in your adhesive into the blank border, comb it and this will leave you a perfectly flat bed of adhesive at the correct depth to 'pad' in your mosaics flush with the field tile. If loads of adhesive is oozing through the mosaic mesh then your comb is too short if there's not enough adhesive then the comb is too long. A couple of mm short of mosaic tile thickness tends to be just right.

D

DaveM

6mm is likely to be too small for that size tile - remember you're after 100% coverage in wet areas.

OK, got it now, thanks again!

[Quote = "Davem, posta: 821.746, membro: 46760"] Grazie compagno, molto apprezzato, qualche grande informazioni là, la piccola blocchi di legno cosa è perfetta!

Pensi che dovrei scaricare la cazzuola tacca 10 mm per una più piccola, allora? 6 millimetri? [/ Quote]
;)

grazie mate!

D

DaveM

The only problem I have is that the Mrs really wants the brick pattern, but she understands that she will have to wait to get new tiles to have it. I could live with them stacked.

As for cheap, not the cheapest, but around 20 a sq/m. Wickes replica they are called. There were a couple of reviews stating that they had bowed tiles, but I wrongly assumed it was just a bad batch.

@Localtiler I saw a vid on youtube where a tiler applied the adhesive to some stuff that he called membrane, then pressed the mosaic onto that, and then left it to harden and then cut the mosaic into strips and stuck them on the wall. is that what you mean? Thanks for the info!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Stack'em Dave M - listen to the pros! We see the trends and can confirm half bond is going out of fashion.
If the Mrs is insistent then you could compromise and put them on the 3/4 bond. This will also reduce the problems caused by the bowed tiles somewhat.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
20160705_160422.jpg
To get over the difference in thickness of the tiles and the mosaics you can introduce a bit of bling to your bathroom. In the above picture I have tiled a shower with a large tile, then a 10mm chrome trim, then the mosaics, then a 10mm chrome trim and then a large tile. The picture may be a little fuzzy as camera flash is bouncing off the chrome trim. The mosaics are recessed by a couple of mm, but the trim hides the sides of the large tile.

Good luck.

D

DaveM

Stack'em Dave M - listen to the pros! We see the trends and can confirm half bond is going out of fashion.
If the Mrs is insistent then you could compromise and put them on the 3/4 bond. This will also reduce the problems caused by the bowed tiles somewhat.

I'm listening and I've shown the Mrs this and we are going with stacked! :) Thanks.

D

DaveM

View attachment 83094 To get over the difference in thickness of the tiles and the mosaics you can introduce a bit of bling to your bathroom. In the above picture I have tiled a shower with a large tile, then a 10mm chrome trim, then the mosaics, then a 10mm chrome trim and then a large tile. The picture may be a little fuzzy as camera flash is bouncing off the chrome trim. The mosaics are recessed by a couple of mm, but the trim hides the sides of the large tile.

Good luck.

Yes, that makes sense, looks great too, I'll run that idea past her too, thanks for the info :)

Reply to Advice Needed On Using Mosaic And Large Format Wall Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
PVA V PRIMERS – WHy you should never use PVA Glue when Wall Tiling Don’t listen to that idiot...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB