Discuss Advice Needed On Using Mosaic And Large Format Wall Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DaveM

Haha, yes it probably will, I've dropped it down. I've taken a pic of the top and bottom so you can see, hopefully it won't look too bad. There's no small cut at the top anyway 20160720_112507.jpg 20160720_112524.jpg :)

D

DaveM

What happens if u come full tile from window ledge?
That looks awfully close to full tiles.
What size tile again please and height of window?
And it looks like u have a lot of leeway within window.
Is that a fixed window frame on window sill or is that the opener?

Thanks again! Tiles are 250x500 x 7mm. I'm not sure what you mean by it looking close to full tiles though?

The measuring stick was only to thow the up and down, the tile will come further over to the left and then there's a half tile before the mosaic strip.
The window is 780 x 1045 and I've added a pic so you can see it, the light is bright so it's hard to get it so it shows the room and the window together so I've added 2. The opener is on the left and its a 50/50 split. 20160720_133009.jpg 20160720_133217.jpg 20160720_133245.jpg

I've added another pic with the mosaic stuck in place with some tape and me holding a tile up near the window sill, that tile would obviously be higher up.

Oh and the mosaic isn't central, but that's where it is going and I'll add another single strip up the left to balance it out.

O

Old Mod

Well ultimately aesthetics are your call.
I'd Probably go with dropping the original 15mm just make sure that is the lowest point, cos if it's the highest, gaps will appear around floor.
Long as it's no more than a few mil in dry areas it'll be ok.
When u silicone around floor line it'll be covered.
But obviously I'm making judgements on images so don't be tied to what I suggest, but with the questions I've asked, hopefully it'll give u a better understanding on how to look at the room overall.

D

DaveM

Didn't get very far up to now, bought a big clinker off screwfix and it managed about 6 cuts before it stopped working and failing to break cleanly, splintering the surface of the ceramic. Rang QEP to see if they had any ideas, and they said the wheel was dull! Something about a faulty batch of wheels that hadn't been titanium coated. They've sent me a couple out but they haven't arrived yet. And I've got about 6 dead tiles because of it.

Also bought a rubi tile level quick kit and the pliers snapped after securing 6 straps. Shockingly bad quality! I think I'm cursed.
20160720_183412.jpg

Does anyone know anywhere that stocks these wheels so I could go and buy one today?

D

DaveM

Thanks!

Possibly, but it didn't feel like I was, but then again, I've not done this before :)

After much fannying around, it seems that the tiles are the issue. None of them are square, all of them are bent/bowed/convex. This explains why it scores ok in places and too deep in others? I've just been testing on some of the ruined tiles and if you line up the flat edge of the tile and score down the tile long ways, the line veers off so you end up with a sloping cut. I'm going to get onto Wickes and see if they'll send me out some replacements.

D

DaveM

Definitely wasn't heavy handed with the leveling kit, in fact, it was only a gentle pull and the handle just snapped. The first few tiles went on well and didn't need much leveling anyway, I just put the clips in in case they did, literaly just nipped them gently so they were firm, on the 6th one, it the handles gave way. They are just lightweight plastic. I'm a computer engineer by trade, so I'm used to handling pliers of all sizes and types and not being heavy handed with them, these were just rubbish!

The replacement wheels arrived and I have fitted one and it all works again. I've looked at the old one but it looks identical to the new one, but the new one cuts nicely and the old one doesn't! I'm being very gentle with this one :)

Also found that some of the tiles are very convex and it is these that won't break. Wickes say they'll replace the lot or some or whatever we decide.

D

DaveM

Going OK so far, thanks for all the help!

Just got a few things I want to check before going any further.

When doing the pieces above the window, not the return, the pieces on the actual wall above the window. What is the best way to hold these in place while the adhesive sets? The adhesive I'm using seems pretty good, but the weight of the tiles gradually drags them down. I used gaffer tape on the top left corner of the window, but the next peices have nothing firm for the tape to grab onto.

The other thing that I had a feeling wouldn't go well is the bath side panel. The bath is quite a deep one and even with a low profile trap touching the floor, there's a large gap at the bottom of the panel. First thought would have been to cut the floorboards and put the trap under the floor and recut the waste pipe hole and then lower the bath, but there's a joist in the way, so that's a non starter. I've been looking around for a kit or something to maybe make my own. Can anyone recommend anything that I can then tile onto?

I also have a few, maybe 10 mosaic pieces that are loose. I have pulled a few of them out and was just going to stick them back on when I make the next batch of adhesive. Is that the way forward or do I need to use something else to stick them on?

Thanks again :)

D

DaveM

@DaveM Have just scanned this thread and have a question. Are you putting a shower screen up? If so do you have the room between the bath edge and the window? Just a thought, sorry if it's been talked about already.
All the best.

Thanks! @Lakey

Yes we are, the edge of the bath is 4-5cm from the edge of the window. The basin is quite close to the bath, it's a very small bathroom, so we are going to need one of those that hinges in the middle to avoid the basin, I think.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice Needed On Using Mosaic And Large Format Wall Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
PVA V PRIMERS – WHy you should never use PVA Glue when Wall Tiling Don’t listen to that idiot...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB