Discuss advice needed,,,overlaying weirock boards weirock boards with ply,,,how thick??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

teenagedirtbag

could someone please tell me what thickness of ply i should be using to overlay my kitchen floor before tiling it ??? its a weirock board floor screwed to a 2x2 frame which is fixed to a concrete floor,,,in a few areas where the tongue and groove meet a litte give has developed after walking on it for so long etc,,,only about a millimetre i would say,,,the floor is in great condition and totally flat and smooth,,,i just want to give it a ply overlay to strengthen so the tiles dont crack when walked on due to the slight give in a few spots,,,any advice would be greatly appreciated......:smilewinkgrin:

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
By your description, it sounds like your wood floor is a floating floor (engineered wood or laminate or real t&g wood on battens), if so, I would recommend that you remove the boards and the frame back down to the concrete and tile onto that, it would be more cost effective if the floor is sound and you would be less likely to have movement issues with the subfloor, as I don't think your existing floor would cope with the extra weight if it's already moving now.

Last edited:
T

teenagedirtbag

aye the frame is hilti nailed down to the concrete,,,ita a full perimeter frame with horizontal battons every 40 cm or so with 240cm x 60 cm boards pn top screwed down,,,the only bit give is where the tongue and groove meet in a few places,,,i was supposed to use wood glue on the the tongue and groove but thought it would be ok,,,taking the floor back up is not an option,,,i read somewhere that 15 mm ply is used on floorboards etc but thought this sounded far too thick???,,,the tiles are ceramic matt black from b&q about 6 or 7 mm thick,,,330mm x 330mm,,,id have to use a flexible adhesive aswell wouldnt i???,,,ive only floor tiled once before but made a great job of it,,,how much would a tiler charge per sq mtre???,,,its about 20 sq metres...

M

mikethetile

hi the bs standard it 15 mm minimum

you can use glue stitching to retro glue the joints, its a bit time consuming but ive done it in the past to great effect

drill a series of holes through the top lip only and fill with pva glue, the holes need to be about 5mm and spaced about every 30mm, once the pva has set check again for deflection

if you have no deflection you could overboard with a tile backer board

but if there is still movement it would still pay you to overboard

Reply to advice needed,,,overlaying weirock boards weirock boards with ply,,,how thick??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice! I'm re-tiling my shower after needing to rip...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
D
Replies
Views
Deleted member 57709
D
Afternoon all, I am putting together a some idealised cross-section sketches to plan out...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
advice needed,,,overlaying weirock boards weirock boards with ply,,,how thick???
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.