Discuss Advice needed please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

CJ CERAMICS

Hi all
On monday i am due to tile a kitchen splash area
now this was supposed to be in 100 x 100 tiles, the customer phoned me up at about 6 this evening to say that the design of the tiles had changed and could i pop round to discuss.
When i got there this is what i have been informed is happening.

The 100 x 100 are still going on but with hand made glass tiles to be interspaced at very ramdom areas (only 6 glass tiles over 6m2) not too bad except the glass tiles are 110 x 110 and are 4mm thicker than field tiles, but this is not really my main concern..........this is SS102037.JPG £1000 worth of designer art work on glass 10 mm thick measuring 893mm x630 mm.................and it has to go on this wall....

SS102036.JPG all suggestions as to how i should approach this....i thought to cut out the p/b and replace with cement board as i think it will be too heavy for skimming though having checked weight yet.

also is there any special addy i need for such a large piece of glass, on glass tiles i usually just use a white spf.

cheers guys.

chris.

P.s i will reply after 9.30 just going to football presentation at bolton.

Somerset
Surface prep is a key issue- what is behind the plasterboard? Is it a standard wood frame or dob and dab onto bricks/cement blocks? I would probably cut a piece of pb off the wall to check thickness and how it is attached to the wall, then cut out all pb and replace with same thickness of cement board, preferably screwed to sub strata.

As for the special tile designs - treat as a feature - i.e. plan layout, then tile everything leaving cut out gaps for odd sizes and feature glass. Might also look to cut hole for thicker tile during prep and fix slighter thinner board e.g. 10mm instead ofg 12.5mm. Other alternatives include packing out all other tiles with a thick bed adhesive, using mosaic spacers to pack out other tiles, or using special (thin bed) glass adhesive (like used for glass splashbacks) for the glass tile.

I would fix all the glass tiles last.

Might also be worth chatting to your addy manufacturers techies for advice on adhesive - bear in mind Mapei do adhesives for other floor and wall coverings and may be the best first stop for extra advice - course that wont be till Monday now!

Good luck.

Reply to Advice needed please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time I’m posting 👋🏽 I’m after some advice please. Is this area going to need...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Advice needed please.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.