UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss advice needed : SLC kitchen floor with new kitchen just fitted in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sjw450

Hi guys,
need some advice on leveling a kitchen floor.
job is 8 square metre floor to tile with 600 / 300 brick bond onto original concrete base,
the concrete floor is a mess, it had 2 levels of tiles originally down which the joiners removed and theres big chunks missing and holes all over it, it looks like the olympic bmx track!
if the joiners had levelled room when it was empty it would have made their lives easier as well as mine as they were complaining about a 30mm drop across floor. However they just left it and fitted new kitchen and said tiler will sort it lol
ive only ever used slc in empty areas with walls as a perimeter for it to set against, im needing a bit of advice how to do it as theres a brand new kitchen just been fitted, the kitchen units run all the way around the room so its basically the middle of room that needs screeded plus the 2 parts for washing machine and dishwasher which go right back to the wall
obvioulsy i cant screed up to plinths they need to come off so any ideas best way to do it?
also the slc will need to be pretty thick at some parts approx 20mm max, any recomended brands, im going to ctd later this afternoon
thanks for any help guys its just something ive never done
cheers
steve

B

bugs183

Abnother alternative to the backerboard strips is using Instastick expanding foam, it dries in no time and will fill any holes that the leveller like to run down. It's low expansion, so it's easy to control.
It may pay to put some marmox boarding down to make up the levels, as you will use loads of SLC. Then as Sirarmic says level. Mapei Renovation screed is an amazing SLC. If you really want to make a plush job buy a spiked roller from trade tiler, this pops any bubbles and smooths out the floor to a lovely finish.

Q

Qwerty

yes. I have never had a problem building up with adhesives.I build up low areas with adhesive (about half their depth) and then tile once it dries.If anyone has actual experience to the contrary I will deffo change my methods.???

I have experience to the contrary as do all the other tilers I know. Your method is expensive, laborious & could lead to less than 100% coverage

C

Ceramico tiling

I have experience to the contrary as do all the other tilers I know. Your method is expensive, laborious & could lead to less than 100% coverage

Yes if you cant do it,it will lead to under coverage!!Thats why its good to practice it not just rely on the mm of your notch trowel. All I want to know is what is your experience or anyone elses with the adhesive build-up?? Have you seen cracks or tiles cracking or what??

C

charlie1

the tiler should be able to start from the highest ppoint and just level it with the tiles. the leveling compound will just save on tile adhesive. I wouldnt bother if I was calling a tiler

Hi ceramico, do you mean tiler should get it flat or level,.... There is a big difference! To even attempt to build up 30mm of adhesive rather than using gravity and slc is totally beyond me. I can't think of an adhesive that goes that thick, and would be labouring and messy

Q

Qwerty

Yes if you cant do it,it will lead to under coverage!!Thats why its good to practice it not just rely on the mm of your notch trowel. All I want to know is what is your experience or anyone elses with the adhesive build-up?? Have you seen cracks or tiles cracking or what??

Luckily I can honestly say that I have no experience in this situation. If it was done I would imagine it would far exceed max adhesive bed depth, could cause slumping, and in some situations it may not comply with British Standards. I have better things to do to be honest Ceramico than practice playing with adhesive bed depths!

C

charlie1

Hi ceramico, I do wonder if your at the windup lol, slc is to tiles what ruler is to straight line, its maybe the easiest way to speed your work up and I think you should wholeheartedly embrace it. Pour....spread.... Spike roller.... Bing, level floor (overnight) I once was asked by customer to feather tiles up to inch deep bed as they had height issues, it was not an enjoyable experience, I think the adhesive I got on my snickers that day are still on them!

C

Ceramico tiling

Hi ceramico, I do wonder if your at the windup lol, slc is to tiles what ruler is to straight line, its maybe the easiest way to speed your work up and I think you should wholeheartedly embrace it. Pour....spread.... Spike roller.... Bing, level floor (overnight) I once was asked by customer to feather tiles up to inch deep bed as they had height issues, it was not an enjoyable experience, I think the adhesive I got on my snickers that day are still on them!

I must admit its been very hard work to do all my tiling this way. And there have been times that I have had to lift up every single tile,and some even over 4\5 times to adjust the adhesive/coverage. But I promise that after a few years your tiles will start wanting to level themselves for you no matter what the surface is like.You will get your full coverage without having to lift them up eventually.But most importantly you can transfer the skill to other trades like carpentry(which is what I am doing now). Because you have to work with your level every bloody second, eventually its like you get a little level in your head and you gain much more control over what ever work you are doing.. Probably not the best method as stated above, with which I do agree in terms of guarantees etc.But well worth the effort if one wants to challenge themselves and gain a useful skill. I am still so curious about the build up of adhesive and what ACTUALLY happens if it exceeds 20mm or so.??????? If anyone can tell me I will be very great full

Reply to advice needed : SLC kitchen floor with new kitchen just fitted in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.