Discuss Advice needed urgently please - NMP, Backer boards, Ply, Ditra???? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

saf

Greetings all,

this is my first post so any help is appreciated.

i am having my bathroom tiled with marble tiles.

now there was me thinking that it would be relatively straight forward and id be able to get any ol' tiler in and he would be able to put them up.

i have started to look through the net to see what options are out there and i must admit i am very confused.

at present i have t&g boards on the floor, my walls have been prepped up using plasterboards and skim on partitions and sand cement/skim against the other walls.

now with regards to the floor i am really puzzled about what the best option would be to tile.

a) do i strip the old t&g floor and replace with ply?
b) apply no more ply over t&g boards and tile over that?
c) strip old t&g floor and replace with ply and use no more ply?
d) apply ply and ditra membrane?
e) any other option you can recommend??

the floor level is an issue and i dont want to unecessarily raise it if i can avoid it.

the real problem for me is that i am not an expert or even novice when it comes to these things, this is my first house (first time buyer), i have gone overboard with an expensive bathroom and intend on sticking with it for as long as it lasts.

please can somebody help and advise me what would be the best option for me.

p.s marble tiles are 10mm thick.

thanks in advance!!

J

jay

Greetings all,

this is my first post so any help is appreciated.

i am having my bathroom tiled with marble tiles.

now there was me thinking that it would be relatively straight forward and id be able to get any ol' tiler in and he would be able to put them up.

i have started to look through the net to see what options are out there and i must admit i am very confused.

at present i have t&g boards on the floor, my walls have been prepped up using plasterboards and skim on partitions and sand cement/skim against the other walls.

now with regards to the floor i am really puzzled about what the best option would be to tile.

a) do i strip the old t&g floor and replace with ply?
b) apply no more ply over t&g boards and tile over that?
c) strip old t&g floor and replace with ply and use no more ply?
d) apply ply and ditra membrane?
e) any other option you can recommend??

the floor level is an issue and i dont want to unecessarily raise it if i can avoid it.

the real problem for me is that i am not an expert or even novice when it comes to these things, this is my first house (first time buyer), i have gone overboard with an expensive bathroom and intend on sticking with it for as long as it lasts.

please can somebody help and advise me what would be the best option for me.

p.s marble tiles are 10mm thick.

thanks in advance!!

Marble is not something any ol tiler can lay and requires a fair bit of experience .because if its not done right it will cost a lot more to rectify

best advice would be send Dave a pm with your location and he might be able to get a qualified tiler in your area to contact you via pm

good luck

jay

and welcome to the forum

S

saf

Marble is not something any ol tiler can lay and requires a fair bit of experience .because if its not done right it will cost a lot more to rectify

best advice would be send Dave a pm with your location and he might be able to get a qualified tiler in your area to contact you via pm

good luck

jay

and welcome to the forum

hi there

who is dave?? and how can i PM him?

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
Posted by Oli

Substrate weight ratings

A common question, how much weight can my wall support, here are the reccommended max weight ratings in KG / m2

Plaster Skim on Plaster Board........20KG
Skim and Set Plaster...................28KG
Plaster Board.............................32KG
Sand and Cement.......................40KG
Cement Backer Board..................55KG
Hardibacker Board.......................45KG
Lightweight Tile Backer Board........40KG
Glass Reinforced Cement Sheet.....50KG
Gypsum Fibre Board.....................40KG

Remeber to factor in the weight of the tile / m2 AND adhesive and grout

Grout.........2KG / m2
Adhesive....4KG / m2

Reply to Advice needed urgently please - NMP, Backer boards, Ply, Ditra???? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Advice needed urgently please - NMP, Backer boards, Ply, Ditra????
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.